Temporary way to test hot tub function?

meganv

Jul 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
We recently got a free Hot Springs Landmark hot tub. The previous owner said it had been up and running six months prior, but his new rental tenants didn't ever use it.

It needs a new cover and new head rest cushions, but everything else seems in good shape. They had already disconnected it from power before we got there so we had no chance to test it. The location the tub is in now has no power source, which brings me to my question.

Before we spend a nice chunk of change running electrical for the tub, is there a way to temporarily hook it up and test it's functionality?

Thanks!

Well, it depends. I am assuming it is supposed to be wired to a 220 line. Which in that case you really have no option but to go ahead and get electrical run for it. But there is a small chance it could be powered by a 110 line. Which in that case, you could get a plug. What I would suggest doing is have a technician come and inspect it. That way you have somewhat of an idea what might need to be done to it, before you commit to taking it. You still won't have a full picture though. But as we say here in the Ozarks, maybe it' better you don't look a gift horse in the mouth. In our experience, free hot tubs are never "free".

Thanks PJ! I will have someone take a look at it. I know we are already in for about $500 for the new covers and head pillows. Plus the start up chemicals to flush the system. If I can keep the cost to around a $1,000 or less, I would call it a win.

I appreciate the response!

If you have the owners manuals, look to see if it can be wired for 110. Fortunately for me, mine was before I got it (but the owners manual showed how to do it had it not been done prior). I've had 2 hot tubs. They both sat for a while but were relatively ok when I put them into service

The first one would leak a slight bit around the light for a day or two when I first filled it, then stop. When it began to fall apart I stripped all the reusable parts and found another one. I installed the main motor from the old tun into the 'new' one, and it's mostly working. I replaced the small circulation pump due to a bad leak after seeing that all was working as it should, now I'm having trouble and I think the new circulation pump is either plumbed backward or was designed to flow in the opposite direction. Aside from that, all is well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.