Mustard Algae Treatment

briansturgeon

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
I've got a question. When we had our pool closed last year I believe there was some mustard algae in it that I had been fighting for a month or so. I am therefore assuming that I will be fighting it when we open our pool.

My question is should I go ahead and open it up like a month before I normally would to give myself a month to get it all killed off to make sure that I don't cut into our swimming time? Also, do I need to remove both LED lights and clean behind them?

I just want to make sure I don't cause a loss of swimming time by waiting to start fighting this if it is indeed MA.

Thanks.

Dealing with it now will make things easier. Algae grows more slowly when the water is cold and thus is a little easier to kill.

You will want to look behind the lights if they have wet niches. No need if they seal the pipe they are in (which is quite unlikely).

A month might be overkill, but, yes, get a jump on it. And remove and scrub anything that you can. Toss pool toys and tools into the pool to soak while it's at shock level. Your SWG probably won;t work below a certain temperature, so keep that in mind. Also remember to turn it off during the overnight test. Instructions for the shock process are in Pool School.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.