Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mustard Algae Treatment

1. Back To Top    #1

Mustard Algae Treatment

I've got a question. When we had our pool closed last year I believe there was some mustard algae in it that I had been fighting for a month or so. I am therefore assuming that I will be fighting it when we open our pool.

My question is should I go ahead and open it up like a month before I normally would to give myself a month to get it all killed off to make sure that I don't cut into our swimming time? Also, do I need to remove both LED lights and clean behind them?

I just want to make sure I don't cause a loss of swimming time by waiting to start fighting this if it is indeed MA.

Thanks.
    18 x 36 IG Vinyl Liner 28K Gallons
    Pentair Intelliflo VS+SVRS, Pentair CC + 420 Cartridge Filter, Easytouch CP with IC40 SWG
    2" Suction and Return Lines - 2 skimmers, 6 returns
    Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage Robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mustard Algae Treatment

Dealing with it now will make things easier. Algae grows more slowly when the water is cold and thus is a little easier to kill.

You will want to look behind the lights if they have wet niches. No need if they seal the pipe they are in (which is quite unlikely).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

A month might be overkill, but, yes, get a jump on it. And remove and scrub anything that you can. Toss pool toys and tools into the pool to soak while it's at shock level. Your SWG probably won;t work below a certain temperature, so keep that in mind. Also remember to turn it off during the overnight test. Instructions for the shock process are in Pool School.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Do I need any other chemicals besides the bleach I will use? A pool store tried to sell me algeacide and another chemical they said was specifically for MA. If so what other chemicals do I need?
    Pentair Intelliflo VS+SVRS, Pentair CC + 420 Cartridge Filter, Easytouch CP with IC40 SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Aside from getting all of your other levels to their ideal balance before you start shocking, no you just need chlorine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everyone.