New Water for Pool - Soft Water or Hard Water

Apr 12, 2013
Hi,

Question:
Should I fill my pool with Soft water, or fill directly bypassing my Water Softener from my private well?
This pool is a Salt Water Pool, In Ground.
This is not a basic plaster pool, It is a Hybred plaster version that has some quartz/rock in it. I didn't like pebbletec because you can not get it white enough.

I have my own private Well, the well water does not have any metals in it, but is pretty hard, 50gpg Grains per Gallon. Using Wikipedia this translates to 855ppm. (17.1 x 50). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grains_per_gallon

Well Water:
50gpg (855ppm)
PH = 7.8
TA = 190
Salt = 60ppm
No Metals

Note: That my whole house Water softener never runs out of soft water, it has 2 tanks, by Kinetico, and so it is capable of filling my 33,000 gallon pool without running out of capacity.

Currently my pool chemistry is in good shape, as I have already filled it using the Hard Water from the well.

However, I am concerned about the long term effects of 50gpg Hardness water, as it may cause trouble in the future. Since my pool is new, it's probably not possible to notice any scaling or whatever.

So again, would it be better to fill the pool with soft water (no minerals), or is it better to use the hard water and deal with the hardness using chemicals?

-Russ
PS
I have asked many pool builders in Las Vegas, and none of them really gave me a straight answer, most told me to use the hard water.

You want about 2/3rds water softener and 1/3 direct. 100% water softener will be too little CH and could damage the plaster unless you manually add calcium (which is silly in this situation). 100% well water will be too hard and is likely to cause calcium scaling.

It depends on what that hardness is made up of. If I remember correctly, Total Hardness (TH) is calcium and magnesium. The only part that matters is the calcium component. Do you have the proper test kit to test Calcium Hardness (CH)? I have a vinyl pool and don't worry much about hardness, so this reply might not be 100% correct.

I had the Well water tested by high end company ($450.00)

I believe that mg/L = ppm.

Chloride 258 mg/L
Fluoride 1.17 mg/L
Nitrate 1.51 mg/L
Sulfate 267 mg/L

TDS 980 mg/L
pH 7.76 mg/L

Arsenic None
Calcium 111 mg/L
Copper None
Iron 0.05 mg/L
Lead None
Magnesium 43.8 mg/L
Manganese None
Sodium 110 mg/L
Zinc None

Hardness (as CAC03) 458 mg/L
============================

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.