Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Water for Pool - Soft Water or Hard Water

1. Back To Top    #1

New Water for Pool - Soft Water or Hard Water

Hi,

Question:
    Should I fill my pool with Soft water, or fill directly bypassing my Water Softener from my private well?
    This pool is a Salt Water Pool, In Ground.
    This is not a basic plaster pool, It is a Hybred plaster version that has some quartz/rock in it. I didn't like pebbletec because you can not get it white enough.

I have my own private Well, the well water does not have any metals in it, but is pretty hard, 50gpg Grains per Gallon. Using Wikipedia this translates to 855ppm. (17.1 x 50). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grains_per_gallon

Well Water:
    50gpg (855ppm)
    PH = 7.8
    TA = 190
    Salt = 60ppm
    No Metals

Note: That my whole house Water softener never runs out of soft water, it has 2 tanks, by Kinetico, and so it is capable of filling my 33,000 gallon pool without running out of capacity.

Currently my pool chemistry is in good shape, as I have already filled it using the Hard Water from the well.

However, I am concerned about the long term effects of 50gpg Hardness water, as it may cause trouble in the future. Since my pool is new, it's probably not possible to notice any scaling or whatever.

So again, would it be better to fill the pool with soft water (no minerals), or is it better to use the hard water and deal with the hardness using chemicals?

-Russ
    PS
    I have asked many pool builders in Las Vegas, and none of them really gave me a straight answer, most told me to use the hard water.
    33,000 gal 40'x20', IG Gunite, SWG, Hayward TurboCell-15 SWG, Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP Pump, Hayward H400FD 400,000 BTU Heater (Propane), Hayward Prologic PS4 Controller, 525 Sq.Ft. Hayward C5030 Cartridge Filter. 38 Infloor Cleaning Heads (Blue Pool), 40'x20' CoverStar Automatic Pool cover. Plastered 10/1/2012. Located in Las Vegas Nevada TF100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Water for Pool - Soft Water or Hard Water

You want about 2/3rds water softener and 1/3 direct. 100% water softener will be too little CH and could damage the plaster unless you manually add calcium (which is silly in this situation). 100% well water will be too hard and is likely to cause calcium scaling.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

It depends on what that hardness is made up of. If I remember correctly, Total Hardness (TH) is calcium and magnesium. The only part that matters is the calcium component. Do you have the proper test kit to test Calcium Hardness (CH)? I have a vinyl pool and don't worry much about hardness, so this reply might not be 100% correct.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

4. Back To Top    #4

I had the Well water tested by high end company ($450.00)

I believe that mg/L = ppm.

Chloride 258 mg/L
    Fluoride 1.17 mg/L
    Nitrate 1.51 mg/L
    Sulfate 267 mg/L

TDS 980 mg/L
    pH 7.76 mg/L

Arsenic None
    Calcium 111 mg/L
    Copper None
    Iron 0.05 mg/L
    Lead None
    Magnesium 43.8 mg/L
    Manganese None
    Sodium 110 mg/L
    Zinc None

Hardness (as CAC03) 458 mg/L
    ============================
    33,000 gal 40'x20', IG Gunite, SWG, Hayward TurboCell-15 SWG, Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP Pump, Hayward H400FD 400,000 BTU Heater (Propane), Hayward Prologic PS4 Controller, 525 Sq.Ft. Hayward C5030 Cartridge Filter. 38 Infloor Cleaning Heads (Blue Pool), 40'x20' CoverStar Automatic Pool cover. Plastered 10/1/2012. Located in Las Vegas Nevada TF100 Test Kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

With the new information, I would do half and half softened water and direct well water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School