Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Site prep for Intex AGP

1. Back To Top    #1

Site prep for Intex AGP

Hi everybody. After last year's fiasco with the EasySet top ring deflating, we've decided to upgrade to an UltraFrame. My question is about site prep. I intend to leave this pool up indefinitely.

We live just west of San Antonio, TX. Our soil is hard and dry sandy loam, with San Augustine grass. Our yard was a farm field until 10 years ago, so it is basically level, but doesn't drain well. Therefore, I intend to build up, as I have seen done for the oil tanks at the oilfield leases I service.

Here's my plan:
    1. Kill the grass with Roundup.
    2. Build a square frame out of pressure-treated 2x4s, and use a sledge hammer to tap into the topsoil until level.
    3. Fill the frame with sand.
    4. Level the sand
    5. Compact the sand with a plate compactor.
    6. Repeat steps 4 & 5 until the sand is compacted and level with the top of the 2x4s.
    5. Lay down the ground cloth that comes with the pool
    6. Install the pool liner.

Any suggestions, or things I may be overlooking?

As I said, I want to leave this pool up indefinitely. I'm ready to invest the time and money to do it right the first time, so that there won't be a second time.

Thanks!
    No more Intex EasySet AGP. Hot tub soon.
    "Prejudices are what fools use for reason." - Voltaire

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Site prep for Intex AGP

You don't want that much sand. If possible use crusher run or something similar, which compacts and locks into place better than sand does, for most of the lift. Then put a half inch of sand on top of that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

My ultra frame sits on a bed made from the ground up of:
    ground
    sand (.75" or so)
    1/4" foam insulation
    tarp
    Pool.

If I had to do it again, I'd dig a little deeper if I needed to when leveling, and not use the sand. It does shift & wash out. The 1/4" foam might sound thin, but it is better than nothing. I could definitely feel it last year, I didn't think to feel for it while I was vacuuming today.
    Intex Ultra Frame 18' X 48" 7600 +/- gallons
    Columbia 50 LB sand filter/ HP pump, $$ WELL spent(2nd best thing bought for the pool)
    Virginia Beach, VA
    TF100 test kit- Money WELL spent (best thing I've ever bought for the pool)
    Leisure bay hot tub

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you both.

Jason, what is "crusher run?" I used to haul base, pea gravel, sand, and riprap, but have never heard of "crusher run." Maybe it goes by a different name down here.

5. Back To Top    #5

Intex Ultra Frame 18' X 48" 7600 +/- gallons
    Columbia 50 LB sand filter/ HP pump, $$ WELL spent(2nd best thing bought for the pool)
    Virginia Beach, VA
    TF100 test kit- Money WELL spent (best thing I've ever bought for the pool)
    Leisure bay hot tub

6. Back To Top    #6

Some areas call it 2A modified also.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

After taking a good look at the oil tanks at an oilfield lease today, I noticed they set their tanks on top of gravel, which is contained within a ring of metal that looks like landscape edging.

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/16/52/27/38 ... 28x471.jpg

So I think I'll use metal landscape edging, instead of wood. But of course, I won't use gravel, I'll use " 3/4" Limestone Base," which is everything from 3/4" down to dust. I think this is the same as CR / QP. And I think I'll set pavers under the legs.

http://www.kellermaterial.com/assets/im ... e_34_3.jpg

8. Back To Top    #8

I would think that it would be hard to get the landscaping edging level and straight. I would use 4" - 4"s for the frame.

9. Back To Top    #9

Tried metal landscape edging, Col-Met brand from Lowe's - I wouldn't wish that on my worse enemy. Very poor quality.

Took it back, and brought home landscape timbers, with corner braces and mending plates. Will try again on my next day off.

10. Back To Top    #10

i would remove the sod completely and then level the ground using a lazer level and then spray the area with grass and weed killer followed by insect killer and then lay down a 2 inch sand base (mortor sand). don't forget to cut down the highest area to the lowest and then compact the dirt and after you level the sand with a straight 2x4 with a level taped to the top of it dampen the sand and tamp it down numerous times. also you will want to place concrete pavers under each leg or i used 3/4 inch treated plywood and screwed the plastic foot to the plywood so as the pool filled the wood moved with the legs........jmo.... good luck and enjoy......Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all