help! lost pressure

Jan 3, 2013
Everything was working fine and then this morning i lost pressure. Tried releasing the pressure from the cartridge filter, removed the lid and cleaned the skimmer and the reassembled and tried to build pressure again. It will get up to normal pressure and the suddenly release. Where do i start to troubleshoot??

well, the water was not particularly low, it was covering the skimmer a little less then half way up, i added enough to get it to halfway and got my pressure back. I dont see why that would be such a big problem but I am forever grateful for the replies and I thank you folks for the help. This board is awesome.

Check the skimmer and see if it's creating a vortex. If it is then it's probably the weir like Richard said. It should swing freely in the mouth of the skimmer. If it sticks or hangs even a little it will cause the pump to sucks in air.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dave J, I think you are totally right about this. I stuck my arm in the skimmer to feel around for some mounting holes for the weir door. During that process I managed to create a wave that denied the skimmer some water for a second and I saw this vortex of which you speak. Lo and behold, the pressure released just then. So, I think I really need a weir door and to keep the water full. Everyone who has repsonded had the proper instinct, which is amazing to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.