need a recommendation on a new variable speed pump

twd000

Feb 19, 2013
Tucson, AZ
i tried valiantly to save my ancient Max-E-Glas pump, but it's time to admit defeat. Going to go ahead and spring for a new VS pump

The Pentair Intelliflo seems popular - i poked around their website and I'm having trouble understanding the differences between all the different options. I know I need a controller - do all of them come wth the pump?

What is the Hayward alternative, and which one would you prefer?

I went with a Hayward EcoStar VS simply because the control panel could be mounted on the wall. Also, they are extremely quiet but I'd have to think the Pentair is too.

The EcoStar is just a little more efficient. The IntelliFlo is more popular and has a built-in timer that is more flexible than the timer that comes with the EcoStar. If you have an automation system you want a pump of the same brand so the automation system will know how to talk to it. I would avoid the IntelliFlo VF, more expensive and not worth it despite the "cool" extra features. If you get an IntelliFlo go with the VS or Variable Speed Pump versions.

The Ecostar is a great pump if you install it correctly!. It has 4 quick speed buttons you can assign to any speed and even name what they are. it has (if I recall correctly) 8 timers you can program. In addition it has Freeze protection. you can change the display from, RPM, WATTS, or AMPS.
in addition the control board can be remote mounted up too 500 feet away. You can also bypass it own controller to be used with other automation systems if you like (Aqua Plus, Aqua Logiceetc...)
Good Luck!!

I have the Ecostar. With all the timers ( 8 separate) you can run it 800 to a 1000 rpm just to filter, and have it speed up a couple of times a day to make the skimmer work more effectively. I also have a fountain and a spa. So it also allows me to tweak the speed for optimal use of anything I have. Also it just fun to play with some of the setting.

you're right, my pool is pretty simple right now. I'm just trying to get everything up and running (bought the house in foreclosure and it was in rough shape)

I have no automation right now, but I may add it later, so I'll take the advice of picking a brand and sticking with it. I installed a new Pentair Triton II sand filter already. I have solar but all the coils leak so I am bypassing it for now. I will eventually replace the solar coils.

I'm skipping over the two-speed pumps since I don't want to guess whether the old one was sized correctly. I just want to give myself infinite RPM options for whatever I will do later when remodeling the pool extensively.

I see the Pentair 011018 is popular - this is the replacement ofr the 3050 model?
http://www.backyardpoolsuperstore.com/P ... _4823.html
this looks like a good price - $825 delivered

I downloaded the manual - it recommends 10" straight shot coming into the suction side, which I do not have. I have a 2" line coming straight out of the concrete slab, transitioning to an elbow right before the inlet. I'm sure this is not the recommended layout for any of these new VS pumps. How much re-plumbing am I going to have to do?

IMG_3241.JPG

IMG_3243.JPG

If you do not have high flow requirements and are set on the variable speed pumps, seriously consider the smaller Hayward Super Pump VS or the Maxflo previously mentioned. Does not seem like you need a 3 HP pump.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A quick warning however for both of those pumps. After talking to a Hayward Rep on a question, I was having NO luck finding any info on either pump on the internet. Turns out this is the first year for those two VS designs.

The one downfall with these pumps are the timers. There are no built in On/Off timers on the pumps. They are able to run at set speeds for a set about of time, however once those two timers are complete the pump will default to a third set speed and run continuously. For me however this wasn't a major issue, and didn't warrant the extra $200-$500 extra for other VS pumps. Bought one this month and am waiting to install it at opening. I was able to pick it up for just a hair over $600 shipped from InTheSwim.com with a promo code that can be found on the internet.

What part of the country do you live in????

Another option on a basic pool set up would be to go with the Speck 1HP variable Speed Pump. This pump is not a true variable speed pump it is really a 3 speed pump so it can be set to Low (1600 RPM's), Medium (2600 RPM's) or High (3450 RPM's - 1 HP) this pump has a built in controller on it. This is a great pump if you don't need to go all the way up to 3 HP which most pools do not, so if you are going with the Pentair you are paying for the ability to go up to 3 HP and majority of pool owners will never need to go past 1 or 1.5 HP.

ok, I'll do some research on the smaller cheaper options

a couple questions on them:
do they allow the option to add automation at a later date (assuming Hayward makes a compatible controller)
once I get the solar coils and gas heater hooked up, will I egret not getting a 3 HP capacity pump? $825 is not going to break the bank for me, if it means I have future-proofed my setup

So the only time when I need all the HP I can get is when I'm vacuuming, right? I currently have a 2.5 SF HP single-speed, and the suction is barely enough for me to vacuum out the 10' deep end with a 45' long vac hose.

Should I be concerned about the smaller VS pumps providing enough lift/ pressure head?

Besides spending an extra $100 up front for the Pentair 3 HP VS, are there any other downsides to oversizing the pump? If I find that I never use the full-speed/full-HP option, am I just as well-off using low-speed for filtering and medium-speed for vacuuming? Will I be taxing a 3 HP system by hooking it up to 2" lines with inadequate suction intake length?

Looking back, I must have read the wrong signature. The maxflo and superpump vs are probably not your best option. They are basically a programmable two speed. When the time clock turns on, it runs for three hours on te high speed you've set, then runs on the low speed until your timer/automation turns off. The intelliflo/pro and ecostar allow you to program a different speed for each situation when you have automation. Even without automation they both offer eight different time/speed settings and four quick speed buttons to override programming.

Aside from the extra money up front for the IntelliFlo there are very few disadvantages. The pump can be programmed to work well with smaller plumbing if needed. 2" is fairly good so that might not even be an issue. The big win for a variable speed is that you can run it on a very energy efficient low speed, and still have high speeds for the spa or whatever you need. The only other downside is that you sometimes need to get a matching brand automation system if you need to synchronize something else with the pump. For example if you want to turn on the spa with one switch you will want automation, other wise you are turning valves and programming the pump each time you go into spa mode.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.