Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Teflon Tape or Pipe Dope - Plastic fittings?

1. Back To Top    #1

Teflon Tape or Pipe Dope - Plastic fittings?

Hi guys!

With the weather getting nice around here I am tackling some leaks in my hard plumbing. Specifically the male thread to female connection of my inlet to my pump / pump outlet to the filter / and the connection from the pump to the swg and the outlet from the swg. Basically, all my threaded connections. Awesome.

I had used teflon tape previously. Now I am considering pipe dope (after reading some of the previous threads on this subject) but on the pipe dope can it says not to use on plastic. Correct my if I am wrong, but isn't the hayward pump housing (black) plastic? As well as the housing for the intex salt water generator?

I looked in the hayward manual that came with the pump, but it was no help.

Thanks!
    NEW POOL : 9 x 18, 48" deep - Bestway brand, 1 HP Intex 3200 Pump/Sand Filter Combo, Wanda the Whale, Hayward through wall skimmer (still in box)
    OLD POOL 5,100 Gallons, 9 x 19 used Splash a Round, Intex SWG, 1.5 HP Hayward Power Flow LX pump, Pentair Clean and Clear 150 sq. ft. filter, hard plumbed, Wanda the Whale,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Teflon Tape or Pipe Dope - Plastic fittings?

You want a non-hardening teflon based pipe joint compound rated for use on plastic, for example Oatey Great White.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I use thread sealant. Just make sure it's good for pvc. Some is only good for metal pipe.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Teflon, then a dab of silicon seals great will easily come apart.

5. Back To Top    #5

My plumber swears you have to use the pipe dope over the Teflon tape to lubricate it so all the tape doesn't get scraped out the threads on assembly. He is easily the best plumber I have ever used and I have never gone wrong with the things he tells me unless I forget to ask how much $ before he starts. I have been using a PTFE based dope over the tape for years now and have never had a problem. The one jasonlion gave you is a good choice.
    10,800 gallons Gunite/Plaster
    Hayward 244t 24" Sand Filter with Zeo
    1 1/2 HP Challenger
    Digital Pool Pilot DIG-220 SC-48
    Located in NOLA

6. Back To Top    #6

I find I always have the best results using the yellow gas rated heavy teflon tape, I am just careful not to over tighten it.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for all the advice! I picked up some Oakey Great White and will tackle the re assembly tomorrow. I think I will use the great white by itself on the inlet and outlet for the pump, but I think I will try the teflon/great white combo on the intex swg inlet and outlet since they are the threads on the intex are such a funky fit to my pvc plumbing.

One question: the great white bottle doesn't specify how long I need to let it cure before use. Any suggestions from experience?

Thanks again!
    NEW POOL : 9 x 18, 48" deep - Bestway brand, 1 HP Intex 3200 Pump/Sand Filter Combo, Wanda the Whale, Hayward through wall skimmer (still in box)
    OLD POOL 5,100 Gallons, 9 x 19 used Splash a Round, Intex SWG, 1.5 HP Hayward Power Flow LX pump, Pentair Clean and Clear 150 sq. ft. filter, hard plumbed, Wanda the Whale,

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Pipe dope doesn't really cure (at least, not like glue). It's ready when you are.

The argument over pipe dope vs teflon tape is interminable. Work with what you know.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Ready when I am sounds great! Thanks again to everyone for all the advice. I am so happy to be getting all this fixed, especially since last time I worked on the plumbing was on a 110 degree day. These mild spring days are far more forgiving on my mental abilities. Hopefully this means I will get it all right this time.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Dalandlord
    My plumber swears you have to use the pipe dope over the Teflon tape to lubricate it so all the tape doesn't get scraped out the threads on assembly. He is easily the best plumber I have ever used and I have never gone wrong with the things he tells me unless I forget to ask how much $ before he starts. I have been using a PTFE based dope over the tape for years now and have never had a problem. The one jasonlion gave you is a good choice.
    X2 This is how I do things. I've also recently been using some unions from custom molded products that are o-ringed male threaded x female slip. Any leaks that develop can usually be cured by a turn of the wrench.
    25K aggregate IG, Intellipro, FNS48, Polaris 360, PG2000 fiber optic light source

11. Back To Top    #11

Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice! We first tried the teflon tape / great white combo but the teflon tape kept getting gunked up with the great white. So we cleaned it all off and just used the great white compound and now......NO LEAKS!! Even the dread pvc to intex thread union is drip free.

Thanks guys!!