Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I clean my cartridge filter and other questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I clean my cartridge filter and other questions

Hello everyone,

Our 340 square foot cartridge filter has increased in pressure by only 3psi since it was installed about eight months ago going from 11 to 14 psi. It has a dial that shows 'clean' at 11psi and 'dirty' at 21psi. My question is should we clean the filter anyway? We keep our pool very clean and the trees in our yard are about thirty feet from the pool. What do other cartridge filter owners do about cleaning?

Last week I turned off our waterfall and the pressure shot up to 22psi. Is it OK to run at this pressure? I turned them off to stop the water from cooling down and I noticed a lot more turbulence from the returns which seemed to help the skimmers with surface cleaning. The increase in pressure made my Polaris start moving around the pool as if the booster pump was on. I just wanted to make sure it would not damage anything by doing this.

Thanks,

David
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I clean my cartridge filter and other questions

We would recommend cleaning the filter when the psi goes up 25%, so in your case that would be 3 psi...exactly where your at.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuyInNOLA
    Last week I turned off our waterfall and the pressure shot up to 22psi. Is it OK to run at this pressure?
    Is the different from the past? 22 psi is not a problem.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

We actually recommend cleaning when the pressure goes up 20-25% of the clean pressure ... so looks like it is about time.

The higher pressure is because you reduced the number of paths for the water to travel back to the pool. That is normal, although that is a pretty large increase. Are you sure you do not have a valve closed partially?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Linen,

It is the first time I have turned off the waterfalls since it was installed.

Thanks,

David
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

5. Back To Top    #5

Jason,

All of the valves are open. We had not closed any valves since the pool was installed. We have four returns and a fifth return for the polaris. At first I thought I did something wrong because of the large increase in pressure and shut the pump down thinking I might damage something. After I turned it back on the pressure was still high and I noticed lots of turbulence and watched it for a few minutes and noticed it was moving a lot of surface water which seemed to help clean the surface a bit better. I let it run this way for about five minutes and then turned the waterfalls back on and the pressure went back down to around 14psi.

Thanks,

David

6. Back To Top    #6

Clean the filter and see what the pressure is without the waterfall. The higher pressure is no problem.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you Jason.