Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rusted, busted pump motor

1. Back To Top    #1

Rusted, busted pump motor

My pump died over the winter. When I started taking it apart I found the shaft had rusted and "welded" the impeller to the shaft.

Any way to prevent this from happening on my new pump motor?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rusted, busted pump motor

I drain the pump, then actually remove it from the outside plumbing it is connected to (I do put PVC caps to the pipes to keep the critters out over the winter). For draining - there are usually some bolts / screws you can undo to get the water out.

I do this because I actually cover and close my pool over the winter . If you live somewhere warm enough to keep the pump running all year - then by all means keep it open and pumping.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Rusted, busted pump motor

Usually I keep it running over the winter. My previous pump had a rusted shaft also but not enough to kill it.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!