how to fill gap between coping and concrete

Mar 30, 2008
Delaware
my sylvan built pool never had this gap filled. i just learned of it's importance. there is a foam cell insert that has dropped deeply into the gap, and of course is now covered with twigs and leaves and dirt.

the depth of this gap seems to be 3-4 inches deep, once i pull out the old dirty foam stuff that was inserted.

i have read about caulking the gap and other items that are used to seal the gap.

my question is: what do i put into the gap to fill the bulk majority of the depth of this gap?

it seems that backer rod would not fill the depth enough. do i use sand? do i pack sand down then apply caulk/sealant?

i'm just so perplexed due to the depth of this gap between the coping and the pool decking/concrete.

thank you in advance

If the backer rod will wedge into the gap and stay there so that you can get the caulk the depth you want do that. Otherwise just put sand in it and caulk it. I don't know why you would need to pack it in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.