New pool and in need of some info

Apr 12, 2013
Hi all. Great info and shared experiences in this forum. However I am still in need of some advise.

My pool construction begins May 20th. We are building:

34x16 liner over steel with SWCG system.

My question is in regards to the concrete decking... How long should I wait before having this work done post completion of pool construction? My PB says we can do it immediately but I know folks that have waited as much as a year. I would like to use the pool this summer but considering what I am spending, I would prefer to not be hasty and cause myself issues and $$$ down the line.

I was thinking more like 30 days but I would like any thought. We are in central mass and the earth in that area is certainly a mixture of dirt and clay. I say this with certainty as I am currently building a new great room and garage addition and have a few major holes with footings poured and can see the layers of dirt and clay. Not even sure if that matters....

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

It all depends on the substrate. If your PB will make the ENTIRE backfill out of clean rock, you can pour immediately. If he says the dirt from the dig will be fine, your concrete will crack and settle.

Thanks Dave. I cannot recall what he said as I signed the contract in the Fall but clearly based on your thoughts, I will request that the backfill is completed fully with rock.

Anything else I need to be wary of with the pour.

Myneeds said:
Thanks Dave. I cannot recall what he said as I signed the contract in the Fall but clearly based on your thoughts, I will request that the backfill is completed fully with rock.

Anything else I need to be wary of with the pour.

It will depend on what your back yard has in it when they dig. Ours was all rock so they have to ship in clean backfill but had it been all good soil they would have just used that. I would imagine the same will happen with you as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.