Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New filter

1. Back To Top    #1

New filter

I need to replace the filter elements of my Hayward 3620 de filter, it was destroyed when a tree took out the shed that I stored it in during the winter. I had my pool installed in 2007. My question is should I purchase a new filter, I was told that I should have a 48, my pool is 44 thousand gallons and the pump is a 1 horse power, for about $900 or purchase the filter elements for $600?
    Thanks Mario

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New filter

My wife just corrected me she said our pool is 24 thousand gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to tfp, Mjv12

For your 24000 gallon pool we would recommend a minimum 66 sq. ft DE filter, though you can get by with more frequent backwashing/cleaning with the one you have.

Your price to to replace the filter grids seem high to me...or do you need to replace more?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

The whole assembly was damaged. I wanted to get away from de so I thought this was the opportune time to go to a sand or cartridge filter I will the size you mentioned in mind

5. Back To Top    #5

I guess the next question is should I go to a sand or cartridge filter?

6. Back To Top    #6

Got it. Recommended minimums are sand 4.5 sq. ft. and cartridge 360 sq. ft.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.