No water coming out of rain drain

Apr 12, 2013
Hello everyone,

I have an inground pool that overflowed this past winter due to sudden heavy rain. It caused a huge mess and I'd like to be able to prevent that from happening again.

My pool has a "rain drain" (hose bibb) near the filter and pump area, but when I open it up no water comes out. I've tried opening it when the filter is running too, in case that needs to be on in order for it to drain. Still, no water comes out.

I'm a fairly new pool owner and have no idea what the problem is. Seems like it should be pretty simple...you open the drain and water comes out. But it's not working out like that. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_3306.JPG
    IMG_3306.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 96
duraleigh said:
Is that in inground pool with the equipment mounted above the pool water line? If so, it will not drain off any excess
water from your pool.

Interesting. It is an inground pool and the equipment is above ground. Why do they put in these drains then if they can't work? Is a separate sump pump the only way to lower the water level then on an inground pool?

The pipe on the top of the pump delivers water to the filter and then the water coming out of the filter goes back to the pool (into the ground normally) from another pipe. That looks like the pipe that goes back to the pool in which case it is not a drain at all but rather a way to divert water from the filter (pump running) out into a garden hose which you could use for a variety of purposes. It'll be high volume.

duraleigh said:
The pipe on the top of the pump delivers water to the filter and then the water coming out of the filter goes back to the pool (into the ground normally) from another pipe. That looks like the pipe that goes back to the pool in which case it is not a drain at all but rather a way to divert water from the filter (pump running) out into a garden hose which you could use for a variety of purposes. It'll be high volume.

It's weird, no water comes out of this "drain" (hose bibb) at all. Not one single drop, whether the pump is running or not.

I guess I'll just have to buy a separate sump pump for those heavy rain days.

Pump running, unscrew the hose bib somewhat and see if water starts to spurt out. If so, shut off the pump and replace the hose bib. Cheap fix.

Does your filter have a multi-port valve or a push pull valve?

A better picture showing your whole filter and pump would give us an idea of what you are dealing with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Isaac-1 said:
Ah, then back to my original guess, the valve is clogged with corrosion, $5 fix, replace it

You were exactly correct. I just went to Home Depot and bought a new hose bibb. Water now comes SHOOTING out when I open this drain. Thank you for the suggestion and your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.