Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No water coming out of rain drain

1. Back To Top    #1

No water coming out of rain drain

Hello everyone,

I have an inground pool that overflowed this past winter due to sudden heavy rain. It caused a huge mess and I'd like to be able to prevent that from happening again.

My pool has a "rain drain" (hose bibb) near the filter and pump area, but when I open it up no water comes out. I've tried opening it when the filter is running too, in case that needs to be on in order for it to drain. Still, no water comes out.

I'm a fairly new pool owner and have no idea what the problem is. Seems like it should be pretty simple...you open the drain and water comes out. But it's not working out like that. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No water coming out of rain drain

It looks like a common household red bronze fitting, if so it will react with Clorine over time and clog up with corrosion.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Is that in inground pool with the equipment mounted above the pool water line? If so, it will not drain off any excess
    water from your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Is that in inground pool with the equipment mounted above the pool water line? If so, it will not drain off any excess
    water from your pool.
    Interesting. It is an inground pool and the equipment is above ground. Why do they put in these drains then if they can't work? Is a separate sump pump the only way to lower the water level then on an inground pool?

5. Back To Top    #5

The drain may be there to drain the water out of the pipe to prevent freezing (it lets air in so water drains back to the pool)
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

What is the device it's connected to? I can't tell from the pic
    Dave S.

7. Back To Top    #7

What is the device it's connected to? I can't tell from the pic
    It's on a pipe that is either going into, or coming out of, the filter housing.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

The pipe on the top of the pump delivers water to the filter and then the water coming out of the filter goes back to the pool (into the ground normally) from another pipe. That looks like the pipe that goes back to the pool in which case it is not a drain at all but rather a way to divert water from the filter (pump running) out into a garden hose which you could use for a variety of purposes. It'll be high volume.
    Dave S.

9. Back To Top    #9

The pipe on the top of the pump delivers water to the filter and then the water coming out of the filter goes back to the pool (into the ground normally) from another pipe. That looks like the pipe that goes back to the pool in which case it is not a drain at all but rather a way to divert water from the filter (pump running) out into a garden hose which you could use for a variety of purposes. It'll be high volume.
    It's weird, no water comes out of this "drain" (hose bibb) at all. Not one single drop, whether the pump is running or not.

I guess I'll just have to buy a separate sump pump for those heavy rain days.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Pump running, unscrew the hose bib somewhat and see if water starts to spurt out. If so, shut off the pump and replace the hose bib. Cheap fix.

Does your filter have a multi-port valve or a push pull valve?

A better picture showing your whole filter and pump would give us an idea of what you are dealing with.
    Dave S.

11. Back To Top    #11

Ah, then back to my original guess, the valve is clogged with corrosion, $5 fix, replace it

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    Ah, then back to my original guess, the valve is clogged with corrosion, $5 fix, replace it
    You were exactly correct. I just went to Home Depot and bought a new hose bibb. Water now comes SHOOTING out when I open this drain. Thank you for the suggestion and your help.