Do I need a bigger pump?

jdfrye

Apr 7, 2013
Southern California
I have a 15 x 30 / 3' x 7' and I'm running a hayward maxflow II 1 1/5 HP pump 240V.
Its a SP2810X15: Pump Output (GPM) vs. Total Resistance To Flow (Feet of Head) ==
20ft/83, 30ft/74, 40ft/64, 50ft/51, 60ft/34

I have 1 1/2 inch pipe with two pool returns and 1 skimmer
do I need to give any more info?
I was looking at the 1 1/2 HP super pump I and II either of these any better? or am i fine where I'm at?

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 47
Unless you have a fountain, waterfall, spa, or something similar you want the smallest pump possible. So, if anything, I would recommend getting something smaller. Of course, replacing a working pump is almost never worth it, unless your electric rates are very high.

Pool stores / builders typically oversize the pump and undersize the filtering system per the usual recommendations at this site. OTOH - as stated above - I would not be in a big hurry to swap out a perfectly fine working pump just to change sizes either, unless the payoff is really quick (1-2 years).

If your current pump actually needs replaced - then by all means - change to a smaller, more efficient pump (two speeds and /or multi / variable speeds are both popular options, depending on your power rates).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.