range of salt ppm for swg

Mar 24, 2013
NW GA
Hi all,

I just bought this house with a pool and the only thing I know about pools comes from your Pool School.
I ran into the guy that installed the Jandy SWG for our pool last year. He said to keep the salt between 2800-3000ppm. Cool. We went our separate ways. Tonight, I came across the manual in the pile of paperwork previous owner left for us.

Jandy AquaPure Ei Series.
Book says goals are
FC: 1-3ppm (Target Shock level is 5-15ppm)
CYA: 30-50ppm
TA: 80-120ppm
CH: 175 - 400ppm
pH: 7.4-7.6
Salt: 4000ppm and <3000ppm will cause cell failure

So how strict are SWG on salinity? I'm going to aim for the numbers published here (FC of 5, CYA of 70, TA of 60).
I should have my test kits by tomorrow and I'm sure I'll have questions.
First things first though, and that's salt according to pool school. What should I be aiming for and how flexible is that number?
Thanks!

The regular AquaPure (the older one, not the Ei) has an ideal salt level around 3,000. I suspect that is where the installer got the number they told you.

The Jandy models are the only ones I know of where there is a warning about cell failure at lower salt levels. I don't know how important that really is to their models. Supposedly it also has a low salt warning light, and I would imagine that there isn't any problem as long as the low salt light isn't on.

Thank you!
That's good to know.
I've read, too, that too low temps can cause the SWG to register low salt. I'm eager to get my test strips to I can determine how accurate the sensor is.

Current pool temps are in the upper 60s so I think it should be able to at least function.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.