Overwhelmed by choices, does this look ok?

mbree

Mar 28, 2013
We're looking to put in an pool in the next month or so. We are totally new to all this and I feel a little lost at times when researching. Can you all let me know if this set up is OK before I order the wrong thing or leave something out?

We're looking at getting the 18' Sharkline Matrix. That part is easy enough, it's all the rest that I'm unsure on, we are thinking the Hayward aquatrol SWG with a Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 2 speed pump and the 18" Pro-Series top mount sand filter. Will those work?

Then with the liner, I'm thinking the uni-bead type? We'd also like to get some of the Game Solar-Pro heaters, has anyone used those, are they worth getting?

If it makes any difference, my husband and I will be DIY'ing all of it. We don't want to rush into anything, but we'd also like to be swimming by June. I'd appreciate any input you all have, I've already read and learned so much on these forums, so thank you so much!!

Welcome

Everything looks pretty good. Is the pump a 1 hp 2 speed? How many sq feet is that filter good for ?

Most important a good test kit!!

Just make sure you get the site good and level. Very important step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to TFP!!!

All that equipment looks good.
Which Power-flo? You can get by with the smallest 2-speed pump you can find.

I would not get those heaters as I think you will get more heat for your $ by getting the larger normal solar panels.

Welcome to tfp, mbree :wave:

If I may ask, why such a small pool? If you are going to diy anyways, I would go a little bigger since the effort to do so is a small increment.

I agree with jbliz, those game-pro solar units are not worth it. If you get serious about wanting solar heat, at least step up to the 2'X20' panel. Solar heating is all about square footage.

Thanks for the feedback. The pump is a 1HP, speed and I believe the filter is good for 1.75ft, I'll have to double check though, I've looked at so many the past couple of days.

I appreciate the info on the heaters, I'm going to see if I can work the bigger one into our space.

We chose the 18' mainly due to space and being new to owning a pool. It's kinda our trial pool, if we decide in a couple of years that we need bigger, we can move out to a larger space in the yard, we're just not ready to commit to that yet. Our original plan was to have a fiberglass in ground installed, but our lot has many mature trees with long root systems and we got paranoid about damaging the trees. There was also the issue of them getting the equipment and shell into the backyard due to our narrow drive and power lines. It was going to involve a lot of stuff that made me nervous. We have a large screened in porch and really wanted to keep the pool close to that, but with an above ground, space is an issue to keep with the visual flow of the yard. It's only my husband, son and myself, so 18' should be good for now, at least until we get some experience under our belts. as long as I can float on a hot day, in my own backyard, I'll be happy. :-D

Your 18 makes sense now, though I would look a squeezing a 21 in there...

As for the pump, I have the 1hp 2p matrix and it works great, but it really is alot of pump even compared to other 1 hp agp pumps. If you stick with the 18', then I might look at the 3/4 hp 2sp pentair dynamo.

On to solar...where do you live? Solar panels are really the way to go, but it sounds like you might have a lot of shade? If part of your roof, say maybe on top of the porch, gets full sun during some/all of the day that would be ideal.

I have an Intext 14x48 pool and 2 Game Solar Heaters. I cannot use the "regular" solar panels for lack of space and I'm not willing/able to do the plumbing to get them on the roof. However, I have benefited from having the Game heaters and saw my pool temp rise 6 degrees in one day. However, those with solar panels see a much greater daily rise. Although Game indicates if you have multiple heaters, you must install their bypass, I have not done so and I have not experienced any problems (system has been in place for about a month). If I do need a bypass, I will "manufacturer" it because $65 seems a bit inflated.

My heaters get "full sun" for about 5 hours each day. Even on days that are overcast or cloudy, the heaters at least maintain the water temp. I am in Florida and my pool is currently 80.5 degrees. Friends without solar heaters are in the 70s.

If you can wait a while, I would suggest that you check Craigslist for the Game heaters. I purchased my first online for just under 90 but I found the 2nd on CL for 40. I know people who have thrown them away because they purchased only one and observed no temperature increase. I forgot to mention, I also have a solar blanket on the pool.

Here is where I got the first solar heater and it is the Game Solar Pro 4512

http://www.doheny.com/catalogsearch/res ... h&x=43&y=9

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.