Water test results & adding salt this weekend. A few ?s

Dec 3, 2012
We had our 16' x 32' inground liner pool installed back in February and our pool builder recommended that we wait until the water temps warmed up some before adding the salt. I ordered the TF-100 test kit and my results are as follows:

water temp: 74 degrees F
Chlorine=0.5 (I have been shocking once per week to prevent algae growth and have not seen any or felt any on the liner surface)
Ph=7.2
CYA=35
TA=30
CH=100

I have an Autopilot DIG-220 SWCG and it is telling me to add 375 lbs of salt right now. Based on the test results above is there anything that needs to be addressed prior to me adding the salt this weekend? Also, what is the best way to add the salt without causing any problems and to help it dissolve quickly? I am currently running the pump 6 hours each day and will be kicking that up to 8 or 10 hours this weekend.

Also, what is the best way to add the salt without causing any problems and to help it dissolve quickly?
Only parroting what I have read in other threads but it seems to dissolve very nicely. Push it around with a broom a bit and, "Voila!"

Your TA test a bit low but I would check it again after you get your SWG up and running. If you're still below 50, bring it up around 60-80ppm.

I would add another 2 gallons or so of bleach tonight. You are low and want it about 3ppm or so so your SWG doesn't have to make up what you lack.

Once your SWG is performing, bring your CYA up to 60-80ppm and you should have smooth sailing.

You should raise your TA level up to the 60 to 70 range. You will also want to raise the CYA level up to between 70 and 80. But it doesn't really matter if you do either of those first, second, or at the same time as adding salt.

Adding salt is easy, just dump it in, spread it out a little so it isn't all in one huge pile, and leave the pump running for 24 hours.

The AutoPilot units are good at figuring out the correct amount of salt to add as long as you have correctly entered the size of your pool. I would double check that you entered the size correctly.

Look for the solar salt at a hardware store as it is much cheaper than the "pool" salt ... same stuff just different sized chunks.

You really should have been maintaining a higher FC level for the last month. Testing and adjusting only weekly is not a good habit to be in. So hopefully there is nothing growing in the pool already.

Check what your salt level is now and calibrate it to 0 if it is off. I haven't seen it in a while but in the past wast I have seen a couple that needed to be calibrated, one that was off by 1000ppm. The poor guy put in the amount of salt that his size pool was supposed to take and the pool pilot told him it was almost 4500ppm. He changed a bunch of water to get it down then found out it was off later. It was a waste of a lot of time and money. You should be happy with it just get your FC up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.