Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: are test strips equal?

1. Back To Top    #1

are test strips equal?

so we are just setting up an new pool and are starting to try and test the water. I have test strips that came with a chlorease salt system but i ALSO bought some other testing strips. they show almost opposite results for the ph.

I would give more details however i dont have faith in the strips since they showed totally different results.

So what give? thoughts? ditch that testing stripps in favor of the TF100 test and salt kits?
    want to start the season off right.

TY for your help.

18,000 above ground pool (27' round 52"wall)
    pro line cartridge filter
    chlorease chlorinator
    18,000g 27' x 52" AG, Proline cartridge filter, 1.5hp pump, ChlorEase CL02 chlorinator
    pool is a transplant from one location to my location and was just put up 4/5/13
    Location : Delaware its on the EAST COAST and yes its a state LOL!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: are test strips equal?

Welcome to TFP !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ckaminski74
    ditch that testing stripps in favor of the TF100 test and salt kits?
    YES.

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

if it was that short and fast of an answer i went ahead and ordered it. YES already
    18,000g 27' x 52" AG, Proline cartridge filter, 1.5hp pump, ChlorEase CL02 chlorinator
    pool is a transplant from one location to my location and was just put up 4/5/13

4. Back To Top    #4

You have made a wise decision!!!

Other suggestion would be to add the SpeedStir ... make the testing easier, more accurate, and more fun.

Not sure how much reading you have done here, but be sure to read through Pool School a few times (button at the upper right of the page). That will make you more knowledgeable than most employees you find at pool stores ... and give you the ability to avoid those stores and save money if you so desire.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

done added to order should have them all end of next week. THEN I can start dialing this pool in.

TY for the FAST FAST responses. I did some lite reading on here so far and have learned the same about pool store employees are that they are like home store employees that they are all toilet paper salesman.

6. Back To Top    #6

I must say it has been a pleasure to help such an agreeable and responsive new member
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I must say it has been a pleasure to help such an agreeable and responsive new member

I'll second that!

BTW, welcome to the forum!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

YES---they are equally WORTHLESS!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome!

You will be in complete control of that pool in no time.
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    YES---they are equally WORTHLESS!
    **** you! I was going to post this!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

have to say its good to get helpful people and not flames for a noob. I got the test kit on way should be here end of next week. THEN ill get real results and then be able to ask a informed question about what to do.

again ty for your help

12. Back To Top    #12

We were all noobs once, and I never forget that. That's part of the reason I try to pay it forward.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry