SWG and scaling

msipos

Apr 12, 2013
We have a 30k gal pool in PA with a SWG system. Last year after opening we noticed scaling. I didn't check Ph during the winter and was told with a warm winter there is more scaling. I treated in the fall with Jack's magic and that seemed to do the trick. Pool guy opened it this year and have some scaling on steps but I kept adding acid all winter as Ph kept climbing and used a pump to circulate the water. He recommends now not using the SWG saying they see more problems and that the system is more for year round pools in the south. Is that true? Whould I go off SWG and use BBB method myself? Maintaining by adding acid regularly isn't that much of a bother or cost. Maintaining in winter is no fun but I heard at Leslies that even regular pools get scaling if Ph not checked and maintained over the winter. Thoughts? I am inclined to keep chlorinating with the SWG as it is cost effective and easier to maintain the pool.....

Welcome to tfp, msipos :wave:

The swg itself is not the cause of scaling.

With that said, the swg can cause an increase overtime in the ph if the TA is not low enough. Our recommendation for swg pools is to have the TA between 60-80 ppm. I do this in my swg pool and generally do not have rising ph. See this poolschool article for our recommended chemical levels for a swg: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator.

msipos said:
I am inclined to keep chlorinating with the SWG as it is cost effective and easier to maintain the pool.....
I would, just follow our levels above.

If you interested in some deeper reading on calcium scaling and ways to prevent it, see this poolschool article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/calcium_scaling

Hey thanks--good to be here and get better pool advice. Leslies did have me add alkalinity over the winter so wonder if they targeted a higher range for TA I forget. I'll have to mention SWGs should target 60 to 80 for TA. My pool is newer---opened 3 years ago so could that cause my PH to constantly rise still? wonder if the gunite is still leaching....also do you add something to maintain like Jacks Magic sells somethng called purple stuff....I used that with other stuff to get out the scaling last fall...andon their website says you can use to maintain the pool to prevent scaling...also do you use something to prevent corrosion? Pool guy recommended putting nickel metal piece in the skimmer....

Just opened the pool this week and pool guy had 2.6 salinity 0 for Chlorine obviously so shocked the pool with3 lbs superchlorinator 7.2 ph as i have been adding acid to keep it low in the winter 80 for TA so in the 60-80 range so leslies must have been right for me to add 0 for CYA so he added 4 lbs and 300 for calcium so that is high end of range likely due to jacks magic last fall taking out the scaling?

Calcium at 300 is right in the middle of the range, the recommended range is 250 to 350.

You would do a lot better if you had your own test kit. Pool store readings can be wrong more often than you might expect.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.