Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2-Speed Motor Problem

1. Back To Top    #1

2-Speed Motor Problem

I recently had a 2-speed motor installed as part of the overall package when I had my pool refurbished. It is a used 1.5 h.p. Hayward motor. I also installed another timer to control the speeds. When the motor tries to start, it makes a humming sound for about 10 seconds and then turns off. There is an odor, possibly ozone or overheated metal. The motor casing is very hot. During this time it does not turn the impeller. I can only get it to start after I open the pump cover and relieve some of the pressure. What do you think is wrong?
    10K gal. IG, Mini-Pebble, cartridge filter, 2-speed 1.5 hp, refurbished 4/13, Hayward Navigator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2-Speed Motor Problem

Welcome to TFP!!!

Opening the pump cover does not relieve any pressure ... the system is at atmospheric pressure when the pump is off (as the gauge on your filter should show 0psi). So, I am not sure why that would help get the motor going.

Usually a humming motor like that indicates a problem with the start capacitor. Or maybe that the centrifugal contact switch on the end of the motor is stuck.

Does this happen when trying to start in both high and low speed?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: 2-Speed Motor Problem

Yes, both speeds.
    10K gal. IG, Mini-Pebble, cartridge filter, 2-speed 1.5 hp, refurbished 4/13, Hayward Navigator