Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Temp and CYA dissolving

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Temp and CYA dissolving

I have had the CYA in a couple of socks in front of returns since last Sunday. Water temp has been 58 - 65 at the highest. Another cold spell and it will probably be back to around 60. The CYA is dissolving very slowly. Is that because of the colder temps?
    18x36 kidney 20,000 gallons IG vinyl. Pentair Easy Touch 8 w/IntelliChlor IC40. Triton II TR100. Pentair Intellifllo Variable Speed. Waterfall/Jump Rock. 2 Pentair Intellibrite lights. TF-100 Test Kit. And a very happy husband who gets to play in the pool without having to take care of it.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Temp and CYA dissolving

Did you try giving the socks a squeeze every so often? This will help.

The colder temps may slow it down.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, I think the cold water results in the slower dissolving. A few squeezes whenever you are nearby will help.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, I have a few times but probably need to do more often. I guess it can take awhile for new pool start up. I haven't even added all the CYA as I just put in front of 2 skimmers. I had only added 5.5 lb of CYA which is less than what Pool Calculator suggested. I wasnt sure if needed to add all at same time. Also, it has been suggested to run pump for 24 hours after adding - which I did on start up but I am assuming that I do not need to run continuously until dissolved - correct?

Thanks again for all of the valuable info that you give.
    18x36 kidney 20,000 gallons IG vinyl. Pentair Easy Touch 8 w/IntelliChlor IC40. Triton II TR100. Pentair Intellifllo Variable Speed. Waterfall/Jump Rock. 2 Pentair Intellibrite lights. TF-100 Test Kit. And a very happy husband who gets to play in the pool without having to take care of it.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes keep it running till its all dissolved.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk
    Yes keep it running till its all dissolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oops. Hope not doing that is a problem. Will change schedule to 24/7 till all gone.

Thanks.

7. Back To Top    #7

Question on test results

Still trying to dissolve CYA. Tested water and only around 20. I didn't add all the recommended amount at once but I will have to add more per calculator (using 0 as my starting point, I only added partial)

Here are my current results

FC. 2
    CC. .5
    TA. 80
    pH. 7.5
    CYA. 20
    Salt. 2700
    Water temp 60

When I plug info into Pool Calculator I get CSI of -1.19 when I enter target. Just want to be sure that that is OK. I just added salt yesterday but need to add a bit more. Still haven't turned on IC40. Circulating water at about 1000 rpm
    So my question is: do I need to do anything else at this point other than add more CYA and salt and using bleach till IC40 up and running?

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

That all looks just fine. Be sure to keep your FC up just a bit more.....say maybe 4ppm until you start the SWG.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    That all looks just fine. Be sure to keep your FC up just a bit more.....say maybe 4ppm until you start the SWG.
    Thanks, wasn't sure since CYA was so low.

10. Back To Top    #10

You still need to raise the CYA and salt. Be sure to circulate for a day after adding the salt before turning on the SWG.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!