Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Feeling Overwhelmed! First time opening pool up.

1. Back To Top    #1

Feeling Overwhelmed! First time opening pool up.

We live in Eastern PA and we have a semi inground pool. We got it professional closed up last year and have had a mesh cover over it for the Winter. Starting to plan on opening it up at the end of May. We have no clue what we are doing. I'm feeling overwhelmed. Hubby wants to do it all himself but I say have the professionals come in and help us. We have a salt water system.

Ugh. I'm stressed.
    Semi IG, Vinyl, Sand, Built in 2012, Lives in Eastern PA.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Feeling Overwhelmed! First time opening pool up.

Welcome to TFP!!

Did you read the article in pool school " opening aboveground pool " ? Good place to start.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

This is a good read as well: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-openings-t4342.html

If you have questions, we are here to help
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you

5. Back To Top    #5

We work a lot cheaper than the professionals!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

I am in the same boat as you. Opening our pool for the first time (bought the house in Dec) and never had a pool before. It is all a bit overwhelming, especially when you read so many things on this site and are told other things by people at pool supply stores. I chose to do it myself, not just because I'm cheap, but because I want to be able to learn about it all and do it myself. I'm sure I'll make tons of mistakes, but I'm hopeful they won't make me want to put a sledgehammer through the pool and maybe through it all, even be able to help people here in these forums!

7. Back To Top    #7

Keep reading and learning here and you'll know more than the people at the pool store. I learn something new all the time here.

This place is full of good people!!
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by acehorne
    I am in the same boat as you. Opening our pool for the first time (bought the house in Dec) and never had a pool before. It is all a bit overwhelming, especially when you read so many things on this site and are told other things by people at pool supply stores. I chose to do it myself, not just because I'm cheap, but because I want to be able to learn about it all and do it myself. I'm sure I'll make tons of mistakes, but I'm hopeful they won't make me want to put a sledgehammer through the pool and maybe through it all, even be able to help people here in these forums!
    So glad to know I'm not alone good luck!

9. Back To Top    #9

Can you take and post some pictures of your setup? Including the inside of your skimmers and your returns. Once you have the plumbing returned to normal there is not much to it. Do you know the details of the winterization they did?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

10. Back To Top    #10

nigelisabelle, I note you said you have a mesh cover. If you wait until late May to open, the pool will probably be pretty green and require a lot of chlorine to take care of it. I have a mesh cover in NJ and always try to open by early May. Even then there will probably be some algae growing in the pool. It is not a major problem. Just, don't be surprised or feel beaten if you take the cover off and see a green pond. Read everything, here. Keep the pool at shock level and over a few days to a week, it willl turn clear. (There will also be vacuuming and probably backwashing involved, but oncce you figure it out, it is common sense).
    19,000 vinyl pool, solar heat, .75 hp tristar, 48 sq ft de filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL
    nigelisabelle, I note you said you have a mesh cover. If you wait until late May to open, the pool will probably be pretty green and require a lot of chlorine to take care of it. I have a mesh cover in NJ and always try to open by early May. Even then there will probably be some algae growing in the pool. It is not a major problem. Just, don't be surprised or feel beaten if you take the cover off and see a green pond. Read everything, here. Keep the pool at shock level and over a few days to a week, it willl turn clear. (There will also be vacuuming and probably backwashing involved, but oncce you figure it out, it is common sense).
    Thanks so much. I think we might open it early May. I've been told that next year we should do a mesh cover and then put a huge tarp over the mesh cover and secure it down with sand bags. Ever heard of that? A few people told us that having leaves sit on the mesh cover isn't good.

I just want the pool open, clean and know what the **** I'm doing. LOL. I'll get there though...thanks so much. Joanne

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by harleysilo
    Can you take and post some pictures of your setup? Including the inside of your skimmers and your returns. Once you have the plumbing returned to normal there is not much to it. Do you know the details of the winterization they did?
    Sure I can. Will do once it stops raining

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by acehorne
    It is all a bit overwhelming, especially when you read so many things on this site and are told other things by people at pool supply stores. I chose to do it myself, not just because I'm cheap, but because I want to be able to learn about it all and do it myself.
    Welcome to TFP, to you and isabelle. Congratulations on choosing to take charge of your own pool! Even better, you came here before the season started with plenty of time to prepare, as opposed to after you threw a bunch of money at a problem.

Here are your first two assignments:

1. Stop listening to anything the people at the pool store say regarding chemicals. The vast majority of them do not have the collective knowledge of this board, and you will find them giving you advice that directly contradicts the way we do things here. If you have to go to a pool store for supplies, just smile and nod and ignore them.

2. Start reading through Pool School. There is a lot of information there, and you at some point will start to feel overwhelmed, but don't worry - you have plenty of time, so take it slow, and we will help you every step of the way.

You'll start to recognize a lot of the same names posting over and over, (the mods here are the best), and we all do it because we love helping.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks

15. Back To Top    #15

Someone told me puuting a tarp over the mesh was not a good idea as it unnecessarily increases the tension on the mesh springs. They said if a tarp was a must then its advisable to put it below mesh instead and install pump on top of it.
    IG Plaster 28,920 Gallons. KDI American DE Filter 48 SQ FT (Model 584090). AO Smith SQ1072 Pool Pump Motor 3/4 HP. Polaris F9300 Sport. TF-100 test kit.