Pool Deck Cleaning?

Apr 12, 2013
I was wondering if anyone can give me any ideas on how to clean and sanitize a concrete pool deck. Preferably with a solution that will not mess up or interfere with pool chemicals if a little gets rinsed off and goes into the pool.

Pressure washing is by far the best way to go. Bleach is a good way to clean the concrete too, just use plenty of water to rinse it after allowing it to soak a while.

I use this method on my concrete aggregate deck:

EZClean 15 in. Surface Cleaner (pressure washer attachment)
Gas Pressure Washer
Pump Sprayer with undiluted bleach
Wet-Dry Vac
A helper (nice but not necessary)

I purchased an EZClean 15 inch Surface Cleaner to attach to my pressure washer, as I have a large amount of concrete in the form of courtyards, walkways, patios and a very large driveway.

When the day came to clean my pool deck, I moistened the deck with water via a hose. Then, I put straight bleach in a pump sprayer and sprayed the pre-moistened deck, and allowed it to sit for about an hour in the early morning hours. I wouldn't do it in the direct sun, as it wouldn't seem to be as effective.

When using the EZCleaner, the water will kick out one way, it's best to test which way it will go so as the bulk won't go into the pool. Work it so the water, debris, sand and whatnot will head off the deck or into a drain. If the water pools up too much, you can either stop periodically and use a wet-dry Vac to clear it away or have a helper suck up the debris as you continue on.

I searched on google for the EZClean 15 in. Gas Surface Cleaner, and there are a few videos. YMMV!

I'm a bit afraid of using bleach as I have a vinyl liner. Any recommendations of a concrete cleaner that wouldn't damage the vinyl liner ??

I'm a bit afraid of using bleach as I have a vinyl liner. Any recommendations of a concrete cleaner that wouldn't damage the vinyl liner ??

Exactly how do you chlorinate your pool? Bleach is liquid chlorine. Tabs (eeek!) contain dissolving chlorine (and other ingredients). Chlorine is chlorine is chlorine.
Personally around my house Skippy uses a pressure washer and some bleach to wash down the cement. If some were to get into the pool...no problem. Although of course he doesn't aim it all into the pool 'cause why add the dirt that you're washing off the deck in there, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

If it's liquid I pour it in slowly about a foot or two into the pool in front of a jet so it's pushed away from the liner and diluted. If it's granular I mix it in a bucket and pour it in the same way. The pool has chlorine but there is a difference in the diluted amount in the pool water and having a stronger solution splashed on the liner above the water line. I've never tested it but I was told that bleach spilled on or splashed on the liner can damage it.
I stick tabs in the skimmer basket(s) so they too aren't touching the liner itself.
If you have a vinyl liner and use bleach without any problem how much per gallon are you using as a cleaning agent ??

I would try to pressure wash with just water - no cleaners first ... but if I had a spot that I was trying to get up that wouldn't come up with just water, then I would use bleach as I would think that any sort of foaming cleaner would be worse for your pool.

I stick tabs in the skimmer basket(s) so they too aren't touching the liner itself.

I do caution you to research this method of adding tablets as I *think* I've read here before that tabs are very acidic. When left in the basket, once the pump turns on, the pump innerds are going to get a rush of very acidic water which could be harmful to the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.