Backswimmers and Bioguard Backup

No. I use the BBB method and my chlorine was as high as 26ppm last year for several days in a row last year and they lived through it. I just looked at my pool and its crystal clear except for some sand on the bottom from winter. This is more of a preventative measure. There are other threads on TFP about people using Backup as a method of killing these things.

I usually have some backswimmers in the Spring. I kept my pool cleaner this winter and don't think I have any now.

Nevertheless, I have always ignored them and when I open the pool and clean it up with chlorine, they ALWAYS have gone away. You can use anything you like in your pool, of course. Many others on the forum have reported similar success using just chlorine so that's always gonna' be my only choice.

Assuming your water is clear and you are not doing the shock process, I would bring FC up to around 8-10ppm and HOLD IT THERE for several days.....thats also with your CYA going to 50ppm.

That should send them packing and will cost very little.

Are you near swamp land at all? I never had cc last year and still had water boatmen and giant water bugs. We treated for mustard algae even though I knew that wasn't the problem. We did phosphate removal(the flocculant was a mess) and we use algaecide.

We've resorted to the fact that it is just where we live. Their probably in the lake too but you just can't see them!

Let me know if you find a solution. I hate bugs having a party in my pool when they aren't invited!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Glock,
Sorry your thread got off topic, but I think the idea is that you can put in algaecide, but it isn't likely to keep the bugs away.

We used borates (at 50) and still had them. They were mostly in the spring and fall. I just think our pool is too close to the swamp so we are the first place they dump. My sister has had algae in her pool and she has NEVER had the bugs. She lives 40 miles away, but suburban.

Good luck! I think a small fish tank net to scoop and squish is your best option.

It does work!
I shocked the shat out of our pool over and over and took the chlorine levels so high I thought my liner would melt. And it those water bugs wouldn't die. We had all kinds of water bugs..
I ordered some BioGuard Back up Algaecide off Amazon and put in the whole bottle into my 33' round pool. KILLED them ALL!!
Thank You WHOEVER posted this years ago.
IT WORKED FOR US!!!!

Reactions: Bhart54
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.