I have a hole in the vinyl liner

Oct 10, 2011
I fortunately had an underwater patch kit that I applied to the leak after I discovered it and it appears to be holding for now. This happened last night and the pool is still holding water this morning so that is good right. My concern now is should I do anything else or is there anything else I can do? Where the hole was there is a circular depression about the size of a normal soup bowl. The flow through the hole was obviously getting progressively worse as the sand was being washed out from under the liner and I feel if I had not been swimming for the first time this year that I would not have discovered it and who knows what would have happened if left to run it coarse.

I now have a patch applied that appears to be holding but it is applied in this bowl like depression where the sand washed out. The hole was close to the edge where the sand is built up in the wedge at the wall and the bottom of the pool is about 1-1/2 feet below grade at that location. I am wondering if I should dig down by the outside of the pool and try to somehow force some sand back under there to fill or raise the depression back up or what? Anyone been there done that before? What should I do next?

Trying to get the sand back under there with water in the pool may be a monumental task.

I think you may have done about all you can do. I would monitor it carefully....sounds like it is a pretty big patch.

Thanks fo rthe replys and I agree with what you are both saying but I had to ask having never been there before. Who knows but that there are ways and means that I am not aware of to deal with these issues. Anyway I guess I will take a close look today at it to make sure all is well and then just keep an eye on it. I sure hate the thought of draining the pool to fix this.

I am also wondering since I already have a patch in the liner should I think about putting a float switch of some sort on the pool to shut the pump off if the patch should begin to leak again. Any suggestions or advice ?

Thanks for the advice Isaac. I certainly dont know much about patching a pool. I just used the patch I bought a year ago in case I needed it at a later date. It is an underwater patch kit sold at the pool store under the name boxer adhesives. I hope its good stuff!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.