Water Circulation Schedule & Salt Water Generator - Advice??

Apr 12, 2013
I have a new In-Ground pool (plastered 10/1/2012), Gunite.
This is the first pool that I have owned. I fired my Pool Builder so I need some help. He is a Cow, Moo!

My Pool:
======
33,000 Gallons
Shared Spa/Pool
Hayward Variable Speed Pump.
Hayward Pro-Logic PS4 Controller
Hayward TCell-15 (T15)
Hayward H400FD Heater (400,000 BTU)

Question:
:?: Can someone suggest a good starting point for Pool water Circulation?

I understand that my SWG will run only when pump is running, so this needs to be taken into consideration.
Also, I just turned the Pool Heater on, I would like to keep it around 83 degrees F.
I live in Las Vegas, NV. Overnight pool temperature lows are around 64 degrees F (Actual Pool water Temp).

When should I Circulate Filter Pump, what speed, and for how long?
Is it better to run on lower speed for longer time?

-R

Re: Water Circulation Schedule & Salt Water Generator - Advi

We need a bit more information, like what model pump do you have, Hayward makes at least 3 or 4 variable speed models, without knowing the model / size it is hard to know how much water it will pump per minute, etc. In general it is better to run your pump at a lower speed for longer time, but exactly how low and how long are hard to specify, for example your SWG may have a minimum flow sensor in it, so you may need to adjust your pump flow up above the minimum to get your SWG to activate, I am not familiar with the T15, but think it likely has an LED light to tell you when there is low flow / or enough flow. My second suggestion is to read the pool school link in the upper right of this page, then take a break, and read it again, you pick up a lot more information the second time through. While your at it go ahead and order a GOOD pool test kit like the TF-100 listed in my signature, it is not possible to manage a pool without a good test kit, and in my opinion the TF-100 is the best one out there at the best price.

Ike

In general for circulation and filtering you want the lowest speed that works well with your equipment, but not lower than the optimal efficiency speed for your pump. With an EcoStar pump I suggest running for 12 hours at 800 RPM, which is right around the optimal speed for that pump. But make sure that 800 RPM still allows the SWG to work correctly and the skimmers to skim effectively. Some SWGs and some skimmers need higher flow rates than you will get at 800 RPM.

Once you have established a baseline, you can adjust the run time up or down to suit conditions at your pool. See the article in Pool School on finding the ideal pump run time.

Obviously you will want a higher RPM for running the spa. The best thing to do is to experiment with various speeds until you find a speed that gives you the amount of jet action that you like.

Thanks, 12 hours sounds like a good starting point. Since I am heating the pool now, the Hayward heater does work on the lowest setting for the VSP. So I will need to find out where that speed is. Hopefully the SWG will also work at the lower speed.

I just added salt to my pool and fired up the SWG. But I am puzzled on exactly how the Percentage setting(50% is default) works. Currently I set to 80% to get some more FC. I currently have zero, I had to dilute my pool with fresh water as I overshot my 3200 PPM salt value. Stupid Salt water test strips, are total junk.

If you know how SWG (T-15) works. Can you try to explain. I know how the FC get created (by electricity). But I don't really get what the % setting means. During a 12 Hour session, how often will FC get generated? Does it know if there is too much FC and stop generating it? I was unable to find any good documentation on the SWG....
-R

The SWG does not know how much FC is in the water. The % amount is the amount of time the SWG will be on and making chlorine, so if the setting is 50%, during one hour of run time the SWG will be producing chlorine for 30 minutes. You will have to adjust the percentage and run times throughout the year as the water warms and cools.

When you have low FC in the pool, it is best to use liquid chlorine to boost the level up to your target. SWG's are great at maintaining the FC, but should not be expected to go from 0 to your target level.

Read Pool School to find all the recommended levels for your chemicals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.