Leak at cleaner hookup / booster return line

Jan 15, 2013
Hello all, longtime lurker,first time poster here.

About a year ago I moved all the pool equipment in my 20,000 gallon kidney bean to a pad tucked behind the garage of our house. All said and done this extended the plumbing runs 4 to 6 feet. At the time I removed the booster pump but left stubs in place to plumb it up when I got around to buying a Polaris. These lines included skimmer/drain, pool jet return, waste, booster return above water level, and a mystery 1.5" line that is very close to the hookup spot for the pool cleaner but about 9" below water level.

This week the wife ok'd the purchase of a Polaris 280 so I dug out the old Polaris PB4-60 pump and wired and plumed it up with the booster pump intake after filter and output to the pool's 3/4" booster return line. After priming main pump I turned on the booster and that is where the fun and disappointment began.

Problem 1.) the Polaris PB4-60 has a HUGE leak during operation behind the impeller shroud. I halfway expected this and will begin the rebuild/purchase new process tomorrow.

Problem 2.) the booster line has a leak that runs visibly between the gap in coping and concrete deck at the pool wall / pool cleaner hookup. It is possible that I broke the fittings at this location behind the wall as I was connecting the Polaris universal fitting to the 3/4" female PVC. It was getting late in the evening when I found this leak and now it is a steady stream even with the booster pump off and just passively passing water from main pump.

After taking this line and cleaner out of service, hopefully temporarily, I'm asking the wizards of TFP for advice how to proceed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.