Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: hard water or culligan water?

1. Back To Top    #1

hard water or culligan water?

I have just purchased 18x48 intex above ground pool, intex krystal clear saltwater system model cs8110 and intex krystal clear sand filter pump 14" model sf15110. do i still need to use the pump that came with the pool? if so which one hooks to the other. lastly i have in the past (without these extras) not had any time in pool due to not being able to keep water clear. with these extras should i use well water( which is very hard) or use culligan, i have access to both. I would love to be able to enjoy this year. please help!!!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: hard water or culligan water?

Welcome to tfp, Maggy

The number one thing you can do to have a better pool experience is study up in poolschool (link at upper right of page). I would start with this article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ater_chemistry

Quote Originally Posted by maggy
    do i still need to use the pump that came with the pool?
    No, just use the sand filter and pump that came with that.

Quote Originally Posted by maggy
    should i use well water( which is very hard) or use culligan
    When you say culigan I am assuming you mean softened water? If yes, then it is unlikely that you will be able to produce enough, quick enough with your culligan softener to make it worthwhile (it will take a lot of salt and many regenerations). Well water is not ideal, since it often has metals in it, but for an intex pool, it shouldn't hurt anything. High metal content typically shows up as a tinting right after the first time you chlorinate. If you end up having that problem, we can help.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.