Right pump?

RH60

Jul 12, 2012
Richmond, Va.
Did I order the right pump?
18 ft AG pool. Had for 20 years and always used a 1 hp Jacuzzi pump with the Jacuzzi sand filter. I think originally may have been a ¾ hp pump.
About 3 years ago needed another pump. Tried a 1 hp Hayward AG pump. But noticed it had a little less power than what I was used to with the Jacuzzi pumps. Could feel a little less water pressure at the return.
So sent back and decided to try a Hayward ¾ hp super pump for a in ground. Seemed to be better built than the AG models and was rated more water flow with less HP.
And I could tell the water pressure at the return was stronger. And I am thinking with the pumps the more water flow the better.
Anyway 3 years later and the motor is frozen. And a lot of rust on the bottom of the motor. I have had 10 year old pumps that did not look as bad. Maybe a leak that got into the motor?

My question is I ordered Hayward 1 hp power flo matrix pump. Did I do the right thing?

Would 1 ½ hp been better for a AG pool or another ¾ hp IG superpum?

Rest of the old super pump still looks like new except the motor. Is it worth it when I have more time to buy just a replacement motor and keep as a spare.

Thanks for suggestions

Generally we recommend the smallest pump you can get away with depending on you water flow needs. If you do not have any water features (water fall, solar, ect), then just about the smallest pump you can find will work ... and be cheaper to buy and cheaper to run.

If you have occasional needs for higher flow, then a 2-speed pump is a great investment. Run on low speed most of the time (cheaper to run and actually results in better filtering) and then run on high speed for vacuuming, filter backwash etc.

So, stronger is not better and will cost you more money.

As jbliz said, unless you have features that need it (spa jets, waterfalls, etc.) then getting the smallest agp pump would be best. In fact if you are going with a single speed Matrix, then the 3/4 hp would be best. I second the suggestion of a 2-speed, since then you would run on low most of the time and only use high when you vacuum. With that said, the 1 hp matrix you bought will likely work (it is fairly similar to a 3/4 superpump in flow rates maybe just a bit higher depending on your plumbing)...keep in mind that it is likely you will not have to run it for very long each day.

What size filter do you have?

linen said:
As jbliz said, unless you have features that need it (spa jets, waterfalls, etc.) then getting the smallest agp pump would be best. In fact if you are going with a single speed Matrix, then the 3/4 hp would be best. I second the suggestion of a 2-speed, since then you would run on low most of the time and only use high when you vacuum. With that said, the 1 hp matrix you bought will likely work (it is fairly similar to a 3/4 superpump in flow rates maybe just a bit higher depending on your plumbing)...keep in mind that it is likely you will not have to run it for very long each day.

What size filter do you have?

Have original Jacuzzi sand filter. Just original invoice. Jacuzzi MFM17 bought in 1988 and takes 100 lbs sand. Came with a 1 hp Jacuzzi pump.
Sand filter is 1.6 filter area sq.ft. and 30 gpm flow rate per sq. ft.
Could not find a Hayward AG pump that had two speeds.

Did just now find one made by Pentair that is 1.5 hp AG pump. So ¾ hp for normal use and 1.5 hp for vacuum. Is this a good brand if I can cancel my Hayward order
Thanks

rayh78 said:
Sand filter is 1.6 filter area sq.ft. and 30 gpm flow rate per sq. ft.
Although that filter is sized right for your pool, that pump is really oversized for the filter (as was the superpump). I would cancel your order.

rayh78 said:
Could not find a Hayward AG pump that had two speeds.
The matrix 2-speed 1hp (model SP15922S). Even better would be the pentair dynamo 2-speed 3/4 hp ( model DYNII-N2-3/4 HP).

Thanks for all the help. Was able to switch to the matrix 2-speed 1hp (model SP15922S).

One last question because I was just curious. I always thought the difference between a AG or IG pump was that the In ground was self priming.

This Hayward Matrix pump is listed as a AG pump but also self priming.

Thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.