Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Help to Determine - Booster Pump or Not

1. Back To Top    #1

Need Help to Determine - Booster Pump or Not

I'm remodeling, so here's my chance for a booster pump install. By the looks of things, it looks like the pips are all 2" and gets reduced to 1/5" I have 3 returns going back into the pool. Would it be a good idea to turn one of these returns into a return for the booster pump and cleaner? If so, do I keep the existing size of pipes? Do I buy thicker gauge pvc? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need Help to Determine - Booster Pump or Not

In the second picture, that looks to be 1" PVC pipe which is pretty small for a normal pool return, but likely fine for a pressure side cleaner.

Are all 3 returns plumbed separately and all are 1" PVC? I can not make out what is going on as far as the return side plumbing from the pictures.

Curious why you are wanting to add the expense of a booster and pressure cleaner as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

From the measurement photo, that's 1" piping. 1½" piping will measure almost 2" and 2" will measure almost 2½".

As for turning one of the returns into a cleaner line. That may be a good idea as long as it doesn't negatively affect the pools circulation.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

This pipe runs from the filter to where it gets reduced. All three returns have the same size pipes and are plumbed separately. As for why the booster method, I've read so many good things about the Polaris 280. It seems more reliable and less costly to repair than a robot. Also, the thought of all the junk going straight to the filter and having to clean the filter more often is a no no.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

That pipe looks like 1 1/4" (1.66" OD) to me [well, probably 1.5" (1.9" OD)] ... I can not tell where 0" starts.

So do all 3 run in 1.5" pipe up close to the pool and then get reduced to 1"? Or is there one 1.5" pipe that then splits into three 1" pipes?

You realize of course that the cost of the 280 plus the booster pump plus the extra electricity likely puts you around the same cost as a robot right?

Anyway, I am not sure if you still have any questions or not ....
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

All three are separate runs to the returns. So if I go with the same size or bigger or smaller? I figured that the repair parts for the 280 are a lot less cheaper than repairing a robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

OK, All 3 returns run separately from the pad to the pool. When do they all reduce to 1"?
    Are you planning on changing one or all of the plumbing to the pool?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

they all get reduced once they are at ground level and get encased by the cement. I don't know if I need to enlarge it or not, or use the same size diameter pipes.

9. Back To Top    #9

I think for pressure side cleaners, the smaller line is fine ... not 100% on that.

But, the other concern might be that when the cleaner is off, you will now only have two 1" return lines ... which is only 1.75 sq-inches and smaller than a single 1.5" return pipe (2 sq-inches) which is on the low end of "normal".
    Jason, TFP Moderator