How SWG Works With Pump Timer

Apr 19, 2011
In process of adding a pump timer and thinking through how this will impact my SWG cell. If the Goldline AquaRite controller is set on "auto" but the pump gets turned off, what is the impact on the SWG?

Does it stay energized without any flow? Do I have to turn it off also? Don't want to create more problems for myself. Thanks.

Howard

I am by no means a expert at saltwater systems,,in fact I just installed mine about a week ago, but have been reading a whole lot on this forum about them.I have a setup like you're talking about, a pump on a timer. From my understanding, and how mine is set up, you connect the control box to the timer so that when your pump is turned on by the timer it will also turn on your SWG. also what I understand is if the generator is making chlorine with no flow then this could explode since it makes a gas and gas will expand and most likely break something on your pool equipment. so to answer your other question this should not be making chlorine when there is no flow. my aqua right has a safety flow switch so it will not turn on unless there is a flow of water through it.

Most all swg's have a flow switch that stops production if there's no flow through the lines. That shouldn't be the main means of stopping it but it's a safety measure in case something else goes wrong.

I say most, because there are "return jet" model cells that are designed to go right at the return jet installed vertically and they depend on any gas produced to flow out of the return jet even if the pump isn't running and therefore it can't build up and cause an issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.