Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How SWG Works With Pump Timer

1. Back To Top    #1

How SWG Works With Pump Timer

In process of adding a pump timer and thinking through how this will impact my SWG cell. If the Goldline AquaRite controller is set on "auto" but the pump gets turned off, what is the impact on the SWG?

Does it stay energized without any flow? Do I have to turn it off also? Don't want to create more problems for myself. Thanks.

Howard
    20,000 Gallons
    Cartridge/SWG
    Gunite
    Memphis, TN

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How SWG Works With Pump Timer

I am by no means a expert at saltwater systems,,in fact I just installed mine about a week ago, but have been reading a whole lot on this forum about them.I have a setup like you're talking about, a pump on a timer. From my understanding, and how mine is set up, you connect the control box to the timer so that when your pump is turned on by the timer it will also turn on your SWG. also what I understand is if the generator is making chlorine with no flow then this could explode since it makes a gas and gas will expand and most likely break something on your pool equipment. so to answer your other question this should not be making chlorine when there is no flow. my aqua right has a safety flow switch so it will not turn on unless there is a flow of water through it.
    17000 gl. In-ground vinyl pool
    Naturesoft/aquarite SWG t-15 cell
    Vinyl liner measured and installed by me

3. Back To Top    #3

Most all swg's have a flow switch that stops production if there's no flow through the lines. That shouldn't be the main means of stopping it but it's a safety measure in case something else goes wrong.

I say most, because there are "return jet" model cells that are designed to go right at the return jet installed vertically and they depend on any gas produced to flow out of the return jet even if the pump isn't running and therefore it can't build up and cause an issue.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

The power to the AquaRite should also be coming off of the timer.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

That's exactly what I need to know. Make sure the electrician wires the timer so that it controls both the pump and the AquaRite. Thanks.
    Howard
    20,000 Gallons
    Cartridge/SWG
    Gunite
    Memphis, TN