Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Buying a new Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Buying a new Filter

I have a few questions for the pool pros!

First, i'm tired of buying parts to keep my old Hayward EC65 DE filter running, so i'm going to look at a used sand filter i found on criagslist tonight. is there anything i should pay extra attention to since i won't be able to see it run? Here is the link for the filter - http://southjersey.craigslist.org/for/3687587055.html

Is that price okay?

Next, i won't have any problems converting from DE to sand will i? I'm also hooking up my current pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Buying a new Filter

That's a good looking filter. You're lucky that the sand has been removed. The biggest things to look for are the laterals, lateral hub and standpipe. The multiport valve just to make sure it's not broken. It can be rebuilt pretty cheaply so if the spider gasket is bad it's not a big issue.

What size pool and pump do you have?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

To be honest, i'm not sure how big my pool is. I just moved into the house last year and we were never told the actual size. From the research I've done and by talking to people i'm guessing its in the 28,000 gallon range. The pump i have is a 1 HP hayward Power Flo pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

By the way, thanks for the quick response!

5. Back To Top    #5

That's close enough. The reason I asked is that you don't want too small or too large a pump. That PowerFlo is a good size for that filter and pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

That filter is small for that pool (it is 3.14 sq. ft.). If your pool is 28000, we would recommend a minimum 5.2 sq. ft. filter. That is not to say the CL filter won't work, but you will most likely have to backwash fairly ofter (depends on local factors).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Oh wow, the current one i have (old hayward EC65 DE filter) says 34 Sq Ft...I'm assuming there are just different ratings for DE as opposed to sand filters?

How often would you think i'd have to be back washed?

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes they are defined differently.

For a 28,000 gallon pool general minimum recommendations would be:
    400 sqft cartridge
    5 sqft sand
    75 sqft DE

So likely you are not happy with your DE because it is pretty small and likely fills up pretty quickly.

EDIT:
    How long is your pool open? Many people with the right sized filter only have to clean it once a year ... assuming you never get algae that is.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Well, the water was pretty good last year but the bump handle broke. To repair it the parts I need are like $50, so I figured I'd just get a used one of Craigslist. I spent $50 last year repairing it. I just found an online calculator and punched in the dimensions of my pool. It said its 30,000 gallons. Think I should just scrap this filter, fix my current one and save up for a bigger (adequately sized) filter?

10. Back To Top    #10

If you want, you can post a picture (taken from as high up as possible) and tell us the major dimensions and depths...and we can estimate the volume.

Quote Originally Posted by rdechristie
    Think I should just scrap this filter, fix my current one and save up for a bigger (adequately sized) filter?
    I would probably wait until you have the funds to get a better sized filter (or find a good deal on CL) unless your current filter is totally unusable. I am not very familiar with DE bump filters, but are you able to get by and still bump it?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to do. I'll try to rig it up to last one more year. I'll take a picture of the pool when I get home.

Thanks for everything!