Filter Problem: Sand in my pool

Apr 25, 2012
Hey guys! I just posted something in the algae forum (post470885.html#p470885) about an algae problem from a winter where my pool was untouched.

Now that the water is clearing up, I'm starting to see a LOT of sand in my pool. I'm assuming it's coming from my filter. I've always had little bits of sand in my pool since I bought the house (even after having someone come "fix" my filter because of the sand problem). So, I have a few questions:

1. Can I add sand myself?
2. How difficult is it?
3. Can I fix any problems with the filter myself?
4. How difficult is it?
5. Is this at all normal for sand filters?

Thanks for all the help!

All your filter work can be DIY if your the least bit handy.

I would suggest first you get your pool water and chemistry in pristine condition and then monitor the pool to see if anything needs to be done about the sand.

Do you know exactly what they did to fix the filter?
Are you sure the sand is coming from the filter? It's a good idea to tie a sock over a return for a while and run the pump to make sure if it's coming out of the filter.

1) Sure you can, BUT you need to find and fix the problem before just adding more sand.
2) Not difficult at all. Do you have a top or side valve?
3) If you're slightly handy, you certainly can fix anything that's wrong with it.
4) It really all depends on what's wrong, but the worst thing that could be worng isn't really all that hard to fix.
5) No, it's not at all normal. I have a sand filter and have never had it return sand to the pool.

Likely causes if it is returning sand to the pool are a bad spider gasket if it's top mount, broken or loose lateral, bad stand pipe seal, to name a few.
You may wind up having to remove the sand, but that's not a bad job if you have a shop vac and it's not a terrible job even if you have to do it by hand.

I don't know if it helps or not, but there is always sand in my viewing glass (where I see if the water is clear on the back of the filter)

And yes, it's a top-mount filter. I'm not sure of the model number. I'll have to check when I get home.

Oh, another question.... That guide says to make sure you have all the parts you need before you open up your filter. So... if I don't know what's wrong with it, should I just go ahead and buy like 6 or 7 laterals and a bunch of other parts that could possibly be at fault?

I wouldn't buy anything until you know for sure what's wrong with it.

Once you pass the OCLT and have your pool in good shape we'll do some troubleshooting on the filter to see if we can narrow down the problem before you tear into it. You don't want to be tearing the filter apart right now while your shocking the pool. Unless, it's returning a lot of sand to the pool.

That link is good if they have a top mount valve. If they have a side mount, it's a little different.

We are getting ready to change the laterals and sand in our Hayward S310S Side-Mount sand filter. We are 99% sure we know how to do it, but do you know if there are any directions that include photos (like the ones for the top-mount) available on the internet?

So glad I found this forum!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.