repairig my bond beam / questions

J

Josey wales

Hi all this is my first post, there will be many to come, I have In-ground pool reno i about to take on up here in Ontario Canada. first project i wan to tackle is patching and squaring up my bond beam. I plan to remove my coping and chips away any loose cement, form the beam with masonry board and tapcons, apply a bonding agent to the old concrete. I am not sure what type of cement to use to fix my beam with? any help or tips you could offer on fixing this beam would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks JW

Welcome to the forum JW, I can't help with your question but thought I would say hi and come on in the water is fine. I am sure someone knowledgable in that area will be coming along to help you out.

Ah yes no post is worth anything without pictures lol, I will get some up soon, and plan to post through out my project. My beam is not cracked but just deteriorating under the coping, and a little along the front, i will let the pics do the talking. I have lurked here since last August when i purchased my repossession, I have done a lot of reading here on the site, and very glad I found such a great site with such helpful people.

Ok i got around to taking some pictures today, we have had rain, sleet and snow today Ugg. A couple of questions I measured my pool it is 26 Ft x 16 ft I estimate it around
23 000 gal, does this sound correct? Also what style of pool would this be classified as ? From the pictures you can see its in rough shape, but i think I might be able to bring it back. So I would like to start with my Bond beam, from the pics you can see I have to chip out and reform the top 1"- 1.5", and square it up. What type technique, and product should I be using for this.

Well, it appears you have a real issue there. It looks like the pool wall and decking were done in one pour and the decking settled and broke loose from the pool wall.

I can't quite see it perfectly but to repair properly and make it look at all presentable, I think you may have to take up that entire side of decking. Then, you will have to cut the pool wall so you have a flat surface. Once that's done, you can then repour the deck so it will rest on(but not connect to) the pool wall.

Anything less than that will probably re-crack and fall off. It a very large DIY project so you might consider a concrete man if I am seeing the pics correctly.

I took some different pictures of the beam this morning, I believe the beam and the slab were poured separately, there seems to be a considerable joint between the two. I was able to get a screw driver in between the joint, and into the dirt under the slab.

Yeah I see it a lot better now. Thanks for the pics.

What in the world do you think caused that pool wall to crack like that? How do the other three walls look? I can't imagine how that occurred without some lateral force.

Not really sure, we get very cold winters here with very hard freezes, also the house was a repossession, and the pool was not cared for properly for many years; it had been empty for a few years. Funny thing is our neighbor told us up until a few years they were actually using the pool in the horrible state it was in, I could not even imagine lol.

we get very cold winters here with very hard freezes
Yeah. that might make sense that water somehow got underneath, froze and cracked it....perhaps over several seasons..

For everyone reading this thread, that's one reason why we always like for you to put your city and state. Advice for Miami is often different than advice for Minnesota :mrgreen:

I still think I would saw cut it well below the crack (maybe 6-8 inches), peg the old concrete with rebar and pour a new wall on top of that area.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.