Adding a Pump Timer?

Apr 19, 2011
I've spent all week cleaning my filter, tracking down and fixing a pressure problem related to an impeller full of junk, and have just ordered a replacement salt cell. You'd think that would be enough for any one week. But you'd be wrong.

One good benefit of spending so much time on the boards this week is that I've read a lot of other materials. For example, I measured my pool, calculated my water volume and have updated my numbers. What I had originally listed as 30,000 gallons (size of my pool at another home) I've now downsized to 25,000 gallons...and it's probably a bit smaller than that.

Next, I noticed that while I have a timer for my Polaris pump and cleaner, my main pump and filter are 24/7 on. There is no timer at all. Just a simple on/off switch.

Based upon what I've been reading this week, that means I'm basically running my pump and filter (and putting hours on my salt cell) at about 4x the rate that I need to be doing. I think it's time to change that.

I want to add a timer to allow me to schedule pump, filter and SWG run time. I also want to be sure that it has a temperature sensor so I don't have to worry about freezing pipes in the winter.

An added benefit of this job is that it's electrical, which is where I draw the line. Too dangerous for me. Time to call a pro!

2 questions:

1) What timer would you recommend?

2) Any electrician could install this, correct?

Please feel free to give any advice or suggestions, as I don't know what I don't know on so much of this stuff. Thanks.
Howard

Well, I was going to recommend the rock solid Intermatic Mechanical timer, but then you brought up freeze protection. I am not sure what basic timer would some with that capability. Maybe someone else does ...

Are pump and filter two different things? I assume you meant just one.

Anyway, good old Intermatic makes lots of timers with freeze protection.

http://www.intermatic.com/en/Produc...alty_Controls/Freeze_Protection_Controls.aspx

I don't have SWG but I believe they can't come on when filter pump is off anyway so you just need to adjust it to reflect shorter run time. Since you have to tie into to the pool heater, I'm not sure ANY electrician could do this--some experience with pools is probably recommended.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.