Solar cover on part of pool - not on tanning ledge?

[attachment=0:15ktf7mb]Lorenson_Bench Aerial.jpg[/attachment:15ktf7mb]We have an unusual shaped pool (rectangle with large tanning ledge separated by a table so we didn't need extra stairs into the deep middle part) . [attachment=2:15ktf7mb]pool daytime.jpg[/attachment:15ktf7mb]

It's pretty easy for us to cover the main pool part (14x24) with a solar cover and when I talked to one cover company they said I don't need to cover the tanning ledge because it's not going to make much difference (it is 6x24). That seems weird to me that I wouldn't lose significant heat if 1/3 of the pool wasn't covered.

Do you need the whole pool covered? Is it like a window left open if part isn't covered?

Thanks

Attachments

• pool daytime.jpg
    pool daytime.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 59
  • Sansom Pool at night gif.gif
    Sansom Pool at night gif.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Lorenson_Bench Aerial.jpg
    Lorenson_Bench Aerial.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 59
Well, most of what the cover does is reducing the heat lost to evaporation. They do not really "heat" the water as much as reduce the amount of heat lost. There are a few discussion recently about how if you are in a dry windy climate (like we are) then you are best to have the pool covered all the time. In wetter calm climates, you would get more heat by removing the cover during the day and having it on at night.

Bottom line, if you cover 2/3 of the pool, you will reduce the evaporation and heat loss by 2/3. The more you can cover the better.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

I was looking at the "solar roller" http://solarfactory.com and the fellow there suggested cutting the main pool part in two to roll up and not covering the ledge. Seems like if I covered the ledge with a 6x24 cover I could remove that pretty easily, then have bump outs in the main cover portion for the steps. Would that work best do you think?

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.