Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backfill AG pool with clumpy clay dirt

1. Back To Top    #1

Backfill AG pool with clumpy clay dirt

I have a 18X24 above ground pool just installed it,s filled up about 3/4. My problem is I need to back fill but my dirt is clay and it's hard as a rock, how can get it less clumpy so I can back fill. Thanks for your help

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Backfill AG pool with clumpy clay dirt

Have you tried a rototiller? That'll usually chew it up pretty good.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Elverson Pa.

Are you backfilling by hand or using a machine ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm not sure how much help I can be but our dirt was a lot of hard clay (the kind you can't even break apart when you smack the heck out of it with a shovel) and some good top soil mixed in which they backfilled with a skid loader. My only advice would be to make sure you have some dirt left to fill in once there is settling.

We have already added dirt once this past weekend after we had a few days of decent rain and experienced some settling but this picture is from today.
    You can see on the wall of the pool where the dirt level was and where it is now after the past two days of heavy rain we have had:
    32' Doughboy Desert Spring (Blue Bayou liner) Buried with Deep End
    300# Sand Filter, 1.5 HP Pump Hayward
    My Build: making-the-jump-to-a-doughboy-from-our-old-intex-t56425.html

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm back filling by hand, so now it's raining hard and will rain heavy this Friday, I guess I'll have to wait to back fill because it will be like mud after so much rain