Speck pumps compared to Hayward

Apr 10, 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
I have an above ground 24' with a speck a91 2hp 2 speed pump aswell as an astral pools sand filter. I haven't read a lot on speck pumps, how are they compared to hayward? Specifically the hayward powerflo matrix 1.5hp. Just wondering if the 1.5hp will move more water than the 2hp, as I've read in some cases is true.

Thank you for your reply bama. I checked the motor card and the model is a91-ll. How is this one compared to the hayward 1.5hp powerflo? I heard many manufacturers upsize the hp just to look more efficient. I didn't know of the speck would be equal or inferior to the hayward of lower hp.

Which would you go with personally? If you don't mind me asking. Also, have you heard of astral filter tanks? They any good? Also one more question: the powerflo matrix 2 speed is it 1.5hp on full speed and half that on the low speed? Or 1hp and .5 respectively.

Here is the curve for you current pump: http://www.speck-pumps.com/other/html/usa/pdf/Technical/model_A91_perf.pdf

Here is the table (no published curve) for the hayward: http://www.hayward-pool.com/prd/Abo...Flo-Matrix-_10201_10551_15008_-1_14017__A.htm

Looking at 40 ft of head, the speck a91-II is moving about 67 gpm and the hayward matrix 1.5 hp is moving about 62 gallons per minute..so very similar.

Since your current pump is a 2-speed (I think?) then you are already aware of the advantage of a 2-speed. I would recommend the hayward 1 hp 2-speed matrix (SP15922S), since the 1.5 hp is likely more then you need.

Metallica said:
Which would you go with personally?
I do not know the spec brand, but I liked that they had good data on their website. Were you happy with your pump? How many years did you get out of it? Why do you want to replace it?

I am not familiar with astral filters, do you have a model number?

Metallica said:
Also one more question: the powerflo matrix 2 speed is it 1.5hp on full speed and half that on the low speed? Or 1hp and .5 respectively.
2 speed pumps use ~1/4 the power (in watts) on low but pump 1/2 flow compared to full speed. In the end you can cut your power usage by 1/2.

Metallica said:
It works fine now, I was just considering potentially upgrading to a hayward if it moved more water more efficiently. Bama, why does the speck say 2hp on it?
Yeah, I am confused now. According to speck's site: http://www.speck-pumps.com/other/html/usa/pdf/Technical/model_A91_tech.pdf that is a 1 hp pump, and yours is labeled as 2 hp. Either way, running on low with your current pump should still be pretty efficient. When it goes, then maybe consider switching to something smaller, but still 2-speed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not sure It was bundled in when we bought the pool a year ago. I took a pic of the motor card ill attach it to this post.

062AA10F-6418-49BE-8F39-AF29A8CF6758-11581-000010E0BD001816_zps63e19949.jpg

There's a couple of things to look at on that pump.
Notice that on the motor mfg's data plate there's no hp or sf. Pump vendors request them like that so they can play with the numbers to their liking. So it can be a 2 hp with a .5 sf. Now if you look at the real data plate you'll notice that it draws 11 amps on high which is consistent with a 1 hp 1 sf motor.

Bama, let me ask you to clarify something. I do not have a lot of experience with pumps of lower hp. Immediately after backwashing the filter, I can barely keep my hand infront of the return its so powerful. Are 1hp pumps just like that? Also my entire pool is extremely wavy right after backwashing, is that the same with 1hp pumps? Just wondering if I actually do have a 1hp.

I do not understand. The more powerful the pump and the lower the head loss, the more suction and flow you will get. 1HP is on the lower end or pool pumps as they go up to 3 or 4HP.

Likely the problem is that you are not cleaning the filter often enough so suddenly you think it is powerful. You should be cleaning it when the pressure rises 20-25% of the clean pressure ... otherwise the flow is greatly reduced.

As your filter gets dirty the head loss across them increases and therefore the flow reduces a lot. If you look at the curve for the speck pump you'll see that it doesn't take much rise in head to drop the flow a lot.

I apprecite it. What I was asking though is, on 1hp pumps on above ground pools, upon immediate backwashing, will the return power be substantial as in you can barely keep your hand infront of it? On mine, upon backwashing, which I do once a week or when the return is noticeably deminished, I can barely keep my hand infront of it and my entire pool is wavy. I'm basically asking is are 1hp pumps that powerful aswell.

That is an SPL rated motor which means it is the equivalent of a 1 HP full rated motor (i.e. double up rated).

Metallica said:
What I was asking though is, on 1hp pumps on above ground pools, upon immediate backwashing, will the return power be substantial as in you can barely keep your hand infront of it?
Mine is like that.

Metallica said:
On mine, upon backwashing, which I do once a week or when the return is noticeably deminished
We recommend backwashing when the pressure goes up 25% from the clean filter pressure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.