Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Skimmer Buddy

Skimmer Buddy

Have any of you ever installed them on your baskets?

Skimmer Buddy is a add-on handle you attach to the bottom of the skimmer basket allowing the handle to stick up above the water line so you don't have to stick you hands down into the 'muck'. Looks like a great idea, just wondering if anyone has tried them out?

Long week-end ahead !! Wooo Hoooo !! 8) 8)
    20x40 30,000 gal IG Liner, Pentair II Sand, Kreepy
    Helpful Links: TF Test Kits; Pool School; Chlorine/CYA Chart; The Pool Calculator
    Wooooo Pig Sooooieee ... Razorbacks

Senior Member In the Industry

Yes, I have one. Didn't know what it was called! The long handle gets in the way of using a skimmer sock, tho, and I have to wrap the skimmer sock around the outside of the skimmer basket. Other than that, it's very cool.
    ~Jules~

My pool: INDOOR 13x27 rectangular fiberglass, built ~2001, BBB, TA-60 sand filter, Hayward two speed pump (1 hp/0.33 hp), 3/4 hp booster pump for solar heater
    Taylor K-2006 test

I too have one, but had no idea what it was called.

I got it because my skimmer basket gets full of leaves quickly and it still lets water through to the pump.

It came with my basket
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

Quote Originally Posted by giulietta1
    Yes, I have one. Didn't know what it was called! The long handle gets in the way of using a skimmer sock, tho, and I have to wrap the skimmer sock around the outside of the skimmer basket. Other than that, it's very cool.
    Would it be possible to use knee high panty hose and place the 'sock' over the handle and attach to the top of the basket? I can see how conventional pool store socks wouldn't have enough room to allow for that. I saw them at the pool store recently when I was in there buying sand for the filter. Sold for $15 each I think.
    Helpful Links: TF Test Kits; Pool School; Chlorine/CYA Chart; The Pool Calculator

I use weed eater line as a handle for my skimmer basket. Just some of the great advice I got from this forum. Best of all it's nearly free and works ok with the skimmer sock.
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

I too use knee highs for a skimmer sock and have struggled with reaching in to pull out the skimmer basket, especially the first few days after opening from winter. I just tied a shoe lace on each side of the basket, put the knee high over the basket and drop in the basket using the shoe lace as a handle to lower it in. I then leave a bit of the shoe lace sticking out of top and place the skimmer lid on to hold the lace. When I check the skimmer basket, I grab hold of the lace, take off the lid and I never have to touch the water when lifting out the basket.
    26,000 gal liner IG pool
    Doughboy with concrete construction
    Full sun most of the day
    1.5 hp pump system
    200lb sand filter

Being in the construction field for years, underground plumbing exclusively, I have stuck my hands in stuff that looks way worse than a few leaves. I have WADED in stuff that is worse, in hip waders too...

But, is this to say that skimmer baskets don't have handles? Mine has a handle built onto it.
    steve

Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2

Quote Originally Posted by crabboy
    I use weed eater line as a handle for my skimmer basket. Just some of the great advice I got from this forum. Best of all it's nearly free and works ok with the skimmer sock.
    Now, that's clever. Thanks.