Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Reduced Flow with my Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Reduced Flow with my Pump

I opened yesterday and noticed in my initial prime of the pump that the flow was not nearly as strong as it has been in prior years. As I progressed through the three lines, it never seemed to show any increase in strength. I tried backwashing which did not seem to result in any improvement. I left it running as I felt a somewhat strong inflow back into the pool at the jets.

Thinking back to last year, I remember how when I closed the pool, it seemed to take over twice as long to pump down the pool as it had in previous years. Now remembering back even further, I do recall a time last year when I came home from work to notice the pool not circulating. When I checked on the pump, it was going, but no water was moving through it. When I looked into the basket, I could see the water churning, and when I shut the pump off and opened the cover, the water was so hot it was steaming. At that time, I backwashed, and the pump seemed to operate fine. Now I am thinking that all of that was the ultimate cause of this reduced flow.

Can anyone venture a guess as to what occurred last year and is precipitating my issues this year with restricted flow? Could that heat have damaged the impeller? What things should I look for in trying to troubleshoot what is happening now?

Looking forward to another great year of useful exchanges on troublefreepool!
    Matt
    20,000 gallon, sand filter, IG vinyl

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Reduced Flow with my Pump

What is your filter psi both pump on and pump off?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Have you inspected the impeller to see if the vanes are clogged with something? That would be my first guess at what's wrong.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Dave S, I am sorry to admit that my filter pressure guage never has worked, so I pay no attention to it.
    Dave J, I will check that this afternoon, makes sense.
    Matt

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, go spend the $10 and get a new gauge It actually is pretty important to know when you should be cleaning your filter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the advice jblizzle, but after 3, it seems futile.
    Dave J, That appears to have been the issue, things are pulling like I am used to now!
    Matt

7. Back To Top    #7

Then try spend the $15 and get one of the liquid filled ones ... unless you are saying that none have worked out of the box, which would indicate some other problem with the filter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

I would not run without a functioning gauge. It is the first thing that warns of pumping problems. I am on my 3rd year with my liquid filled one.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

None have ever worked in the 13 years I have had the pool...which may explain a lot of other things as well. My PB just recommended watching the flow out of the jets and using that as an indicator of when to clean the filter.
    Matt

10. Back To Top    #10

I bet if you get a decent liquid filled one, it will last a lot longer.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

It almost sounds like there is a problem with the filter in that the gauge is not ported into the chamber.

Are you saying that you have never had a gauge register anything? I would have made the PB replace the filter if it is not functioning.
    Jason, TFP Moderator