new filter and pump opinions

jp4120

May 11, 2012
Norristown, PA
my equipment is 15 years old, filter leaking and the pump is intermittently noisy (Nautilus DE filter, 1.5 purex triton pump)
so was thinking of just replacing both this year before opening instead of replacing the filter and waiting for the pump to fail.

was not going with variable speed pump - my season is only 4 mths max but 2 new pool guys out gave me the following ..1 likes pentair, 1 likes Hayward.

estimate #1 - Hayward super pump 1.5 & Hayward DE progrid 48 filter
$ 1963 plus tax.....also $50 off opening price of $375.

estimate #2 - Pentair Whisperflo 1.5 & Pentair FNSplus filter 48
$ 2319 plus tax.....still waiting to hear about a discount of opening price of $422

any opinions from the esteemed panel?

Even if your electric rates are fairly low, it is worth getting a two speed pump. You can use high speed for the spa and low speed for circulating/filtering the pool. That will save you much more than the additional cost of getting a two speed.

Both Hayward and Pentair are good. However you should keep in mind that the WhisperFlo is a much larger pump than the SuperPump when both have the same listed HP.

Likely some of the cost difference is due to the Whisperflo being a larger pump than the Super Pump (unless you made a typo and it is really a Super II Pump)

For reference:
Pentair Superflo ~ Hayward Super Pump
Pentair Whisperflo ~ Hayward Super II Pump

no typo, the estimate only says Pentair Whisperflo

my question was that given the estimates, if they are close in quality just go with best price?

also how much more would you pay for the 2 speed to consider it worth it? keeping in mind 2 speeds seem like they would fail quicker than a single speed (just a hunch - more moving parts, more things to break)

The question was really whether it was a Hayward Super Pump or a Hayward Super II Pump (which is bigger and more similar to the Whisperflo).

I think the 2-speeds are maybe $100-$200 more (not positive, but you could see online). And there are not more moving parts (besides a cheap SPDT switch to pick the speed) and they should last just as long ... this is not new technology.

Thinking about just buying the equipment on amazon and installing myself with a buddy that is pretty handy and opens/closes his own pool
Pool guys are quoting parts prices 60% higher than I can pay on amazon
Also thinking about starting to do my own opening and closings
Sick of dealing with pool guys that don't know as much as those on this forum
Any thoughts or warnings about going this way?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.