Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new filter and pump opinions

1. Back To Top    #1

new filter and pump opinions

my equipment is 15 years old, filter leaking and the pump is intermittently noisy (Nautilus DE filter, 1.5 purex triton pump)
    so was thinking of just replacing both this year before opening instead of replacing the filter and waiting for the pump to fail.

was not going with variable speed pump - my season is only 4 mths max but 2 new pool guys out gave me the following ..1 likes pentair, 1 likes Hayward.

estimate #1 - Hayward super pump 1.5 & Hayward DE progrid 48 filter
    $ 1963 plus tax.....also $50 off opening price of $375.

estimate #2 - Pentair Whisperflo 1.5 & Pentair FNSplus filter 48
    $ 2319 plus tax.....still waiting to hear about a discount of opening price of $422

any opinions from the esteemed panel?
    24K gal, plaster, concrete decking, cantelivered coping, 20 years old, raised attached stone spa - 1 1/2 HP purex triton pump, 3 yr old 48 sq ft Pentair DE filter with multiport, Polaris 380 w/pump, 2 yr old Pentair mastertemp 400k heater - live in southeastern PA outside phila.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new filter and pump opinions

Even if your electric rates are fairly low, it is worth getting a two speed pump. You can use high speed for the spa and low speed for circulating/filtering the pool. That will save you much more than the additional cost of getting a two speed.

Both Hayward and Pentair are good. However you should keep in mind that the WhisperFlo is a much larger pump than the SuperPump when both have the same listed HP.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Likely some of the cost difference is due to the Whisperflo being a larger pump than the Super Pump (unless you made a typo and it is really a Super II Pump)

For reference:
    Pentair Superflo ~ Hayward Super Pump
    Pentair Whisperflo ~ Hayward Super II Pump
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

no typo, the estimate only says Pentair Whisperflo

my question was that given the estimates, if they are close in quality just go with best price?

also how much more would you pay for the 2 speed to consider it worth it? keeping in mind 2 speeds seem like they would fail quicker than a single speed (just a hunch - more moving parts, more things to break)
    24K gal, plaster, concrete decking, cantelivered coping, 20 years old, raised attached stone spa - 1 1/2 HP purex triton pump, 3 yr old 48 sq ft Pentair DE filter with multiport, Polaris 380 w/pump, 2 yr old Pentair mastertemp 400k heater - live in southeastern PA outside phila.

5. Back To Top    #5

The question was really whether it was a Hayward Super Pump or a Hayward Super II Pump (which is bigger and more similar to the Whisperflo).

I think the 2-speeds are maybe $100-$200 more (not positive, but you could see online). And there are not more moving parts (besides a cheap SPDT switch to pick the speed) and they should last just as long ... this is not new technology.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Thinking about just buying the equipment on amazon and installing myself with a buddy that is pretty handy and opens/closes his own pool
    Pool guys are quoting parts prices 60% higher than I can pay on amazon
    Also thinking about starting to do my own opening and closings
    Sick of dealing with pool guys that don't know as much as those on this forum
    Any thoughts or warnings about going this way?

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds like a step in the right direction that will certainly save you money.
    Jason, TFP Moderator