A Complete IG Pool Build in 17days?

pragmatic

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2011
Friendswood, TX
Not trying to bash PB’s here as it appears many do a fine job! I just wanted to share information I learned during my recent build (Houston, TX area).
Before construction, our PB estimated completion in 3-weeks ”max”! I doubted him and even said I’d prefer a realistic estimate. He then gave us reasons behind the typical 2-3 month construction jobs. The valid one’s are of course rain & inspections/city code; in his experience, Houston/Harris County (TX) being the worst. But the excuses involving lack of sub-labor or no-shows are the most surprising. He said in most all cases it’s related to the builders being financially over extended. At the time it didn’t strike me as too important. But, he explained dealing with various sub-contractors is very simple; find the “good one’s” and have 2 back-ups, treat them with respect, inspect the work on a daily basis and most important-“pay them honest” in cash after satisfactory completion "every day".
Being bilingual helped me in many discussions with the subs (confirmed my instructions/design). I even asked their opinion on small changes and details; these were important changes (related to long-term structural soundness- waterfall construction, decking tie-in to our existing patio, coping & tile placement). But what amazed me the most was the contractor’s willingness to share the stories and bad practices of the major pool builders (most of the ones I was familiar with and interviewed). These skills / contractors have been in the business a long time, some 20+years. They know the owners, sales-guys, city- inspectors and company profit margins (sometimes even their wives/girlfriends with all their antics). It was amusing to hear them parrot some of the sales guy’s promises and quotes and how behind the scenes the company foremen instructed them to do otherwise.
Anyway, I realize there are two-sides to every story and I admit a bit of luck in my pool construction, but I was fascinated how quickly and wide spread the dirty details of a Pool Company migrate through the sub-contractor network. It’s not always the case but I feel using a small/medium PB with a main-group of contractors (not necessarily on the pay-roll) can eliminate some of the headaches. It’s definitely something to consider in a PB interview.

It sounds like you found a great builder!

Completion time varies a great deal depending on availability of subs. In the current slow economic climate it isn't all that hard to line up subs who are reliable and will show up when you want them to show up. But when the economy is hot and everyone is building a pool, the good subs find themselves in very high demand and schedules start to slip. That is when you find out how much the subs really respect the builder.

CUTiger78 said:
17 days is miraculous! Did that include the patio around the pool & the fireplace?

I couldn't even get a reno done in 17 days. Then, there was the law suit....

Cheers!
Yes sir! ..with 12-15 cylindrical footers 4ft deep under the fireplace deck area (15K lb slab). But the fireplace was not constructed, it was a pre-built modular unit and delivered (only 1/2 day) and did not include landscaping; myself, the wife and son did that part. I can imagine a lawsuit is scary!!

My PB quit my job when he ran out of money and I had to finish the pool myself. He dug the hole, stub plumbed it, ran electricity to the equipment slab, shot the gunite, and did the coping and waterline tile and then quit. All of that work took 4-5 days of people actually working on the job. I later removed the tile and coping (my wife decided she didn't like it) in one day and had it replaced the next day. It took a half day for a plumber to install the equipment and the electrician took a half day to finish the electrical work. The plaster took a half day to prepare the pool and about six hours on the next day to apply the plaster.

Unless you need a period of time for the gunite to cure you could easily finish a pool in two weeks if you had the subs lined up.

HouTex said:
My PB quit my job when he ran out of money and I had to finish the pool myself. He dug the hole, stub plumbed it, ran electricity to the equipment slab, shot the gunite, and did the coping and waterline tile and then quit. All of that work took 4-5 days of people actually working on the job. I later removed the tile and coping (my wife decided she didn't like it) in one day and had it replaced the next day. It took a half day for a plumber to install the equipment and the electrician took a half day to finish the electrical work. The plaster took a half day to prepare the pool and about six hours on the next day to apply the plaster.

Unless you need a period of time for the gunite to cure you could easily finish a pool in two weeks if you had the subs lined up.
That was by far my worst fear in using a smaller company (more like a GC), but he proved himself early on and we quickly became friends! Sounds like you knocked it out quick. I'll bet the thought of going into business as PB crossed your mind?
ComputerGuyInNOLA said:
Ours was built in less than thirty days and that included a visit from Hurricane Isaac!
Amazing how quickly things come together. What stage of the build did the rain hit you? I was concerned with rain hearing all the stories of pools floating.

pragmatic said:
HouTex said:

That was by far my worst fear in using a smaller company (more like a GC), but he proved himself early on and we quickly became friends! Sounds like you knocked it out quick. I'll bet the thought of going into business as PB crossed your mind?
ComputerGuyInNOLA said:
Ours was built in less than thirty days and that included a visit from Hurricane Isaac!
Amazing how quickly things come together. What stage of the build did the rain hit you? I was concerned with rain hearing all the stories of pools floating.

Actually, it wasn't quick. He got through the gunite stage pretty quickly because our contract was front loaded (my mistake) then he ran out of money and I bugged him for about three months to finish the job. After one lie after another it was clear he used my money to finish another job and he didn't have another one lined up to finish my pool. I fired him and finished it myself and it went very quickly after that. This happened in mid to late 2010 and the economy here was still recoverying from the financial crisis so it was easy to find subs who could come out on a couple of days notice. Our economy is booming again so it may not be that easy now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.