Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmers.

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmers.

Hi all, I bought my Intex pool last year. I am about to start opening and I am wondering whether i should install a thru the wall skimmer. The Intex pools comes with a skimmer but it's inside the pool. I saw some treads on this but I am very confused on which, wide, normal? piping? etc. Can somebody in the forum clear the subject for me. Thx Marcelo
    Intex above ground Rect UltraFrame 12x24x52, 8500gal. Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 14". Intex SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmers.

Most people are very happy after installing a skimmer on their Intex pools. Most use the standard skimmer and either hose or hard pipe it to the pump. The choice of whether to install the skimmer comes down to how nervous are you about cutting a hole in your perfectly good pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, I noticed that there are templates and instructions on how to cut etc.. That's what I am looking for. On top of that, there is the piping. My pool has 2 valves one return and one to the filter. If I install a skimmer I have to shut the one to the filter and have only the skimmer?
    I was Looking for pix or videos but I could not find.
    Intex above ground Rect UltraFrame 12x24x52, 8500gal. Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 14". Intex SWG.

4. Back To Top    #4

You'll still have two valves. One in the new skimmer line and the existing one in the return line. Both lines will need to operate just like the setup you have now does.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I too am considering installing a thru wall skimmer in my intex pool. From what I have learned you have to lower the normal water level about 4" for this type of skimmer to function properly. I'm not sure if I want to give up that much depty in a 52" pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

I am not sure about that! I thought you lower the level to install the skimmer but you could add the water to the same level as before!!
    Hope somebody in the forum can clear that for us! If that's the case, I have to think a little more on the idea.
    tkx,
    Marcelo

7. Back To Top    #7

The thru wall skimmer has to be installed a few inches below the top band on intex pools for it to seal properly. I normally fill my pool to the bottom edge if the top band. That being the case my normal water level would completely cover the skimmer opeming rendering it useless.