Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2-speed pump operation

1. Back To Top    #1

2-speed pump operation

So, I needed to get a new pump...and wanted one, our old one was just a 1.5hp and I wanted a 2-speed.

Just for a little comfort on my part I figured I'd ask here to make sure I'm taking advantage of it right and running it enough.

we have a polaris 360 so I need the 1.5hp sometimes but for the most part I've been running it 1/2 speed, 12ish hours a day. When I get home from work, if the bottom needs to be cleaned at all, I boost it up to full speed for a hour or two or until the bottom is clean...then back to 1/2 speed.

We have a 28k pool, I'm hoping running it 1/2 speed for 12 hours is enough to circulate the water. I also close off the main drain about 80 % because we only have one skimmer so it keeps the surface clean with the lower power.

Make sense? Just trying to save power & keep the pool going!

thanks for any replys!
    My pool works thanks to TFP

Please support the site! pages/supporters/

It's cheaper than your first trip to the pool store!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Yes, that sounds about right. You may want to run the pump a little more or a little less than that but that is a good starting point. Watch how things go and see if need to adjust the run time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks Jason!

I'll leave it on longer than the 1.5hp...but I just wanted to make sure I was headed in the right direction with the timing.

Thanks for the input!

-T
    My pool works thanks to TFP

Please support the site! pages/supporters/

It's cheaper than your first trip to the pool store!