Cicada invasion!

dlduvall

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2009
West Virginia
Here on the East Coast, we are starting to hear about the impending emergence of Brood II 17-year cicadas. Apparently billions of them. Yuck! I was wondering what to expect in terms of possible pool issues. I didn't have a pool for the last go around with these bugs, but I remember them kinda being everywhere. Any pool owners have problems when they came out last time? I have nightmares about having to scoop giant nets full of bugs out of the water! :puker: :puker:

This is Brood II in the East. I've lived through three of them and always had a pool. They were positively brutal here in NJ in 1962 when I was 10. The carcasses covered everything--I mean everything--and the noise was infernal. My Dad, my brother and I would sit in the back yard and shoot them with a .22 sandshot gun. That was a blast. The next one in 1979 happened in a really wet spring and they seemed to really suffer for it. The last one in 1996 was also no big deal. Who knows what will happen this year...but I think some environmental factor has held them back. I guess we'll find out. I don't remember any pool issues other than having to empty skimmers more frequently.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.